Home Australia The AFL sensationally BLOCKS Wayne Carey from receiving the Hall of Fame honor after holding a crisis meeting over his controversial past.

The AFL sensationally BLOCKS Wayne Carey from receiving the Hall of Fame honor after holding a crisis meeting over his controversial past.

0 comment
Carey (pictured arriving in Sydney on Friday with teammate Jessica Paulke) only found out about the AFL's surprise move hours before attending the Hall of Fame ceremony.

The AFL has shocked the football world by preventing controversial great Wayne Carey from receiving an honor at a NSW Hall of Fame ceremony on Friday night.

In a last-minute call, league boss Andrew Dillon called up the former North Melbourne premiership winner on Friday, just hours before he was elevated to Legend status at the Sydney Cricket Ground function.

Carey had been photographed arriving in the city with his partner Jessica Paulke earlier that day.

The 52-year-old was told the league believes it is inappropriate for him to receive the honor as the AFL takes a very public stance on violence against women, and a minute’s silence will be observed at ceremonies held before the eight games of the round.

Carey (pictured arriving in Sydney on Friday with teammate Jessica Paulke) only found out about the AFL’s surprise move hours before attending the Hall of Fame ceremony.

AFL boss Andrew Dillon personally called Carey (pictured) to break the news.

AFL boss Andrew Dillon personally called Carey (pictured) to break the news.

Carey has been accused of shocking behavior toward women during and after his playing career.

However, that did not stop him from being inducted into the AFL Hall of Fame in 2010.

“The AFL recognizes the decision by a committee of people from the New South Wales football industry to recognize Wayne Carey’s contribution on the football field as part of the inaugural 100 members of the New South Wales Hall of Fame “Dillon said in a statement.

‘His contribution on the field is also the reason he was recognized in the AFL Hall of Fame in 2010. Yesterday afternoon, the AFL Executive was alerted to the Hall of Fame Committee’s decision to New South Wales that Carey was elevated to Legend status.

‘We didn’t think it was the right decision. I called Wayne Carey this morning to inform him of this and he agreed that becoming a Legend would detract from the event and the important focus on the national response to the issue of gender-based violence against women.’

Dillon said Carey agreed to the move once the motivation behind it was explained to him.

The move to ban Carey (pictured during his time at North Melbourne in 2000) came over allegations about his shocking behavior with women.

The move to ban Carey (pictured during his time at North Melbourne in 2000) came over allegations about his shocking behavior with women.

The timing of the Hall of Fame honor was horrifying for the AFL, which is having players in every Round 8 game make public gestures as the league takes a stance on violence against women (pictured, players from Crows and Power during a minute's silence on Thursday). evening)

The timing of the Hall of Fame honor was horrifying for the AFL, which is having players in every Round 8 game make public gestures as the league takes a stance on violence against women (pictured, players from Crows and Power during a minute’s silence on Thursday). evening)

In 1996, Carey admitted committing an indecent assault on a woman, which was settled out of court after he allegedly grabbed her breast on a Melbourne street.

Despite this admission, Carey would captain North Melbourne to their victory over Sydney in the AFL Grand Final that same year and play 271 games in his career.

In 2002, Carey had an infamous affair with the wife of his then best friend and North Melbourne vice-captain, Anthony Stevens.

In 2007, the former Adelaide and North Melbourne star was arrested in the United States for allegedly smashing a wine glass in his ex-fiancee Kate Neilson’s face.

Neilson declined to press charges, but later said he was left “bleeding profusely from the mouth.”

Carey also pleaded guilty to two counts of assault on a law enforcement officer when he fought with police after the incident with Neilson.

Then in 2008, police were forced to use capsicum spray to subdue Carey after he assaulted officers in Port Melbourne.

In 2007, Carey was accused of glassing his then-partner Kate Neilson (pictured together) at a restaurant in the US. She refused to press charges.

In 2007, Carey was accused of glassing his then-partner Kate Neilson (pictured together) at a restaurant in the US. She refused to press charges.

Like the AFL Hall of Fame, the New South Wales equivalent can block players on the grounds of “integrity, sportsmanship and character”.

Earlier this week, Dillon said: “When it comes to violence against women, the only acceptable number is zero.”

But he also trumpeted the New South Wales Hall of Fame and Carey’s inclusion in it.

“Australian football in New South Wales has a deeper history than many realize,” he said.

‘Congratulations to the members of the Hall of Fame, each has played an important role in improving football in New South Wales.

Dillon's decision to block the honor should come under close scrutiny after Carey's alleged past scandals did not prevent him from being elevated to the AFL Hall of Fame in 2010.

Dillon’s decision to block the honor should come under close scrutiny after Carey’s alleged past scandals did not prevent him from being elevated to the AFL Hall of Fame in 2010.

“I look forward to learning more about these greats and hearing their stories in the months and years to come, as football culture continues to permeate all of New South Wales.”

The move to block Carey’s honor comes after football fans criticized the league’s position on violence against women at this weekend’s games.

Players, coaches and referees gather in the center of the field to form a circle and pay silent tribute to the women who have lost their lives, before an MC reads a statement to the crowd.

However, many football fans have criticized the move, insisting the AFL is being hypocritical in trying to welcome back a player like Tarryn Thomas, who pleaded guilty to threatening to distribute intimate videos of a former partner and has faced accusations of shameful abuse. behavior with women.

“Nothing but hypocritical bragging,” wrote one fan on X.

You may also like