The afflicted sister, 57, uses Facebook to track down the serial killer who murdered her brother in 1978

In the photo: Penny Farmer, now 57 years old, from Manchester

In the photo: Penny Farmer, now 57 years old, from Manchester

In the photo: Penny Farmer, now 57 years old, from Manchester

For most of the four decades, an annoying sense of injustice corroded Penny Farmer: someone had brutally murdered his older brother and his girlfriend, and the killer had gotten away with it.

Penny, who is now 57, decided to continue the detective work that her father had started and tried to find her killer using Facebook.

Penny was a teenager who grew up in Chorlton, south of Manchester, when her brother Christopher Farmer, a newly qualified doctor, set out on a trip around the world with his girlfriend Peta Frampton, a lawyer.

They left the city in December 1977, but never returned.

The couple was brutally murdered in Central America, seven months after what should have been a trip of a lifetime.

Writing home regularly while traveling the world, the couple revealed that they had met a charming American named "Dwayne", who had offered to take them from Belize to Mexico as crew members in their 32-year wooden sailing boat. feet, the Justin B.

In the final letter of Peta, with the postal stamp of June 29, 1978, she wrote: "Enough of the future, I do not think there is more news, nothing happens on a ship, a lot of love, Peta.

His letters, full of details and emotion, stopped suddenly. The families knew that something terrible had happened, but what? Christopher's father, Charles Farmer, a BBC journalist, made his own inquiries.

He asked for help in the Belize Times in vain. He hired a local man, Alphonso de Pena, to act as a private investigator.

In January 1979, Mr. de Pena learned through a local priest living on the Guatemalan border that the unidentified bodies of a young European couple had been removed from the water 200 meters from the coast the previous year.

While sailing along pristine waters off the coast of Guatemala, the couple had been tortured, beaten, bound and thrown into the sea, laden with heavy pieces of machinery that had been tied to them.

Peta Frampton and Christopher Farmer the day before leaving in December 1977

Peta Frampton and Christopher Farmer the day before leaving in December 1977

Peta Frampton and Christopher Farmer the day before leaving in December 1977

This terrible crime had happened in the first week of July 1978, days after Peta's last letter.

Soon after, local fishermen discovered the swollen corpses of the two, then unidentified Westerners, who were buried in unnamed tombs.

After the private investigator's advance, the corpses were exhumed and dental records were taken across the Atlantic to confirm that it was Christopher, 25, and Peta, 24.

It was devastating news for families in Chorlton.

Charles and diplomats in the Foreign Office continued to investigate, tracing the owner and captain of Justin B.

That patron was an American named Silas Duane Boston, a shadowy drunk who, later, would emerge, was a fugitive in Central America, wanted for a legal violation against a minor at his home in Sacramento, California.

The British consulate and Charles managed to talk on the phone with Boston.

He was evasive and unconvincing, and told the consulate that his two passengers had disembarked because his boat had required repairs.

To Charles, he said, "Let me know if you hear anything about them," claiming he did not know what had happened to the couple.

After that, Boston seemed to disappear from the face of the earth. Charles Farmer died in 2013, at the age of 91, without reaching the truth.

That lingering doubt, that sense of injustice, lived on his daughter Penny, who decades later ended what her father had started.

His "moment of bombing" came while he was on an autumn walk with his mother Audrey in October 2015, when they remembered Christopher.

"I wonder how Chris would have looked, he would have been 62 now, he's always young before our eyes, right?" Audrey said wistfully.

It occurred to Penny that she should become a detective, using the internet as her main tool.

Heart-pounding, as soon as he reached the screen of a computer, he did a Facebook search of Boston's two children, Vince and Russell.

These names had been on Justin B's manifesto and had also been mentioned in the letters sent home by the couple.

The boss had brought his young boys, then 13 and 12, with him. Surely, they would know something?

Penny quickly found Boston, then 74, online, his grizzled Facebook profile picture looking at her through the screen, and his two children.

She was relieved. At least he was alive. She was also furious. Why had not she done this years before?

Penny sent a message to the children and, finally, discovered the truth.

They told him they had seen their father kill. The two men said they had seen their father tie the couple and throw them into the sea, apparently furious because Christopher had rebuked him for intimidating his youngest son on board.

Drunken Boston had hit Christopher but he ended up falling overboard, before muttering darkly about revenge.

Duane Boston (pictured) was accused of murdering Christopher and Peta

Duane Boston (pictured) was accused of murdering Christopher and Peta

Duane Boston (pictured) was accused of murdering Christopher and Peta

According to Vince, his father told Christopher to lift the anchor, crawled behind him and hit him several times on the head.

Then he tried to stab Chris in the chest with a knife, but the blade broke and Chris yelled, "I surrender!"

The next morning, it is said that Boston told the couple that he was going to leave them near Livingston, Guatemala, and he held out his hands and undressed them to avoid reporting the police before he could escape.

For the next 36 hours, Boston allegedly insulted them and tied them up and put plastic bags over their heads, tying them to metal blocks and then throwing them overboard, in full awareness.

The horrible details of the case, and the fact that it had taken so long to reach them, shook Penny to the core.

He went to Martin Bottomley, the experienced and grizzled head of the cold-blooded police unit in Greater Manchester, and begged him to reopen the case.

His mother, Audrey, was not getting younger and was desperate for justice to be done.

GMP contacted Interpol and the Sacramento police, who happened to reopen an investigation into the disappearance of Vince and Russell's mother, Mary Lou, in 1968.

His disappearance was one of a dozen apparent murders and rapes that police in California had reexamined.

Today it is said that the Sacramento police have two large files that total 2,000 pages and implicate Boston in crimes dating back 50 years, including the death of Mary Lou and other murders.

Within two weeks of making contact with Penny, Vince Boston gave a statement to the Sacramento police, testifying that it was an open secret that his father had killed his mother and that he had witnessed how he had killed Peta and Christopher.

Russell would give a similar testimony.

Both Vince and Russell continued to claim that they had tried to alert authorities on both sides of the Atlantic over the years, but were told that no file could be found in England to record the murders of Chris and Peta. Alerted by Penny, GMP searched but could not find traces of its file in the case.

Then, a breakthrough: they contacted a retired detective who had been involved in the case, David Sacks, to ask what he could remember.

Yes, he remembered the case and, surprisingly, had saved a complete copy of the file in the garden shed.

About 38 years after his murders, the Sacramento Police finally tracked down to Boston in December 2016, and was charged with the murders of Christopher and Peta.

Penny and her family begged the court to rush proceedings, since Audrey wanted justice done before she died.

The family was even willing to give up a right to seek the death penalty after a conviction in an effort to expedite the process.

But even Boston managed to conclude matters on its own terms. With the deterioration of health due to years of alcohol abuse and just three weeks before Penny and Audrew attended a pre-trial hearing, Boston died in prison, at the age of 76.

He had been on dialysis but is said to have ordered the doctors to withdraw the treatment.

In a matter of hours, Penny and Audrey, who had been preparing to travel to the United States, received the news. There would not be a day in court for them. They would not have the satisfaction of looking him in the eye on the dock.

Penny, who now lives with her mother Audrey, 93, in Oxfordshire, said: "They disemboweled me, totally disembowelled, I thought we were going to see justice.

"I was ready to stand up in the courtroom and tell them what a monster it was, but he did not even let us have that, it took me a long time to get over that." The game was for him.

"I would not like to say suicide, but he did it for a reason and that was because he knew the game was over, he was really a ripper."

Vince said: "My mother was also a victim of hers, he killed my mother when he was 4. Of course I sympathize with families who are hurt and with all the pain he has caused over the years.

"I am distressed by what he did to my mother." She was only 23 years old. He murdered her. My father caused a lot of pain and suffering to many people and practically got away with it. It is at least a certain kind of justice that is no longer among us. But unfortunately this case could not go to trial. He left and can not hurt anyone else.

The court documents outline a truly shocking case against Boston even though the process never reached the outcome that families craved.

Vince Boston testified that his father repeatedly hit Christopher Farmer in the back of the head with a wooden "Billy club", as it is said that the young doctor cried, "What is your game? What is your game? ?

When his girlfriend left the kitchen, it is said that Boston threatened to shoot him with a spear.

The captain "tied" his passengers in the back of the boat and placed plastic bags over his head before pushing Christopher first and then Peta overboard, followed closely by the parts of the machine they were on. tied by a rope.

"Boston looked at his watch and after three or four minutes declared" OK, they're dead ", revealed the dramatic testimony.

Despite finally getting to the truth, Penny despairs that Boston has escaped justice.

"I'm sorry, but four months in prison does not equate to justice in my book," he said.

Now, she has written a book Dead In The Water about crime and her efforts to reach that truth, which had remained a secret for almost 40 years.

Penny explained, "First of all, I wanted it to be a lasting memory for Chris and Peta, who were two excellent people, they were very loved, not a day goes by without thinking about them." Second, you can not deny that it's a story really remarkable.

"It's the most incredible story I wanted to be told accurately and truthfully, and my family and I are part of that story, why should not I write it, it's my family's story to tell."

(function() {
var _fbq = window._fbq || (window._fbq = []);
if (!_fbq.loaded) {
var fbds = document.createElement(‘script’);
fbds.async = true;
fbds.src = “”;
var s = document.getElementsByTagName(‘script’)[0];
s.parentNode.insertBefore(fbds, s);
_fbq.loaded = true;
_fbq.push([‘addPixelId’, ‘1401367413466420’]);
window._fbq = window._fbq || [];
window._fbq.push([“track”, “PixelInitialized”, {}]);