“Unfortunately it was planned that way”: Sergio Busquets regrets Barcelona’s recruitment strategy and lack of depth, leaving boss Quique Setien with only TWELVE first-team players behind for Napoli second stage
- Barcelona midfielder Sergio Busquets hits the club’s recruitment strategy
- The Catalan giants are thin on the ground after a number of major injuries
- They can also have only 12 players from the first team in the team for Napoli’s second leg
- Busquets claims that this was the club’s plan all the time and is now failing
Sergio Busquets has questioned the recruitment strategy of Barcelona after a number of serious injuries and suspensions that allowed the club to stay very thin on the ground.
The Catalan giants managed to run away on Tuesday with a positive result against Napoli in the Champions League, after Antoine Griezmann scored a crucial away game to cancel the stunning opener of Dries Mertens.
Arturo Vidal was sent for two quickfire yellow cards in the second half to leave the reigning Spanish champions with possibly only 12 first-team players for the second leg on March 18.
Sergio Busquets has been touched by the Barcelona recruitment strategy, which means that they are far from absorbed
Gerard Pique stumbled with an ankle injury at the end of the game while Busquets pointed out that he and Nelson Semedo were at risk of being suspended because they had been booked earlier in the game.
With Ousmane Dembele and Luis Suarez confronted with long spells on the sidelines, boss Quique Setien was forced to summon four youth players for the trip to San Paolo to make the figures.
Although there are only 19 seniors in the team, Busquets claims that this was always the club’s plan.
Gerard Pique suffered an ankle injury on Tuesday against Napoli
‘Semedo and I were one booking away from a ban, so we always ran that risk [of suspension], “the midfielder said to Napoli after the 1-1 draw, as quoted by ESPN.
“We hope that the injury of Pique is nothing serious, but we are entering the second stage with what we have. We don’t have a deep team because that was unfortunately planned that way. “
The Croatian midfielder Ivan Rakitic echoed the feelings of Busquets and said: ‘We have a short team but the managers knew that.
Arturo Vidal was also sent, allowing Barcelona to stay stretched for the second leg
PLAYERS AVAILABLE FOR NAPOLI 2ND
- Marc-Andre ter Stegen
- Junior Firpo
- Nelson Semedo
- Gerard Pique
- Clement Lenglet
- Samuel Umtiti
- Ivan Rakitic
- Frenkie de Jong
- Antoine Griezmann
- Lionel Messi
PLAYERS NOT AVAILABLE
- Jordi Alba (wounded)
- Sergi Roberto (injured)
- Sergio Busquets (suspended)
- Arturo Vidal (suspended)
- Ousmane Dembele (wounded)
- Martin Braithwaite (not registered)
- Luis Suarez (wounded)
“The solution is what it is. Those who are available have to work very hard because we have an important race in the second stage. “
Barcelona will have to make a return with Napoli for the time being as they prepare for their second Clasico of the season.
Real Madrid welcomes their fierce rivals on Sunday in the Bernabeu in a possible title decision.