A teenager died after drinking too much water caused him to have a seizure.
In December 2018, the 18-year-old was being treated in an out-of-hours adult mental health service inpatient unit. On the night of December 7, he suffered a seizure after drinking too much water and was taken to intensive care. He died three days later from the consequences of water poisoning.
The teenager, named Mr D, had previous contact with Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services (CAMHS).
He was diagnosed with early-onset psychosis and received two years of CAMHS community care.
An anonymous investigation by the Scottish Mental Welfare Commission concluded that there were “aspects of the care and treatment provided by each health board which, if carried out differently, could have prevented the death of Mr D ”.
The report, which made 10 recommendations, also said: “A more assertive approach to the treatment of Mr D’s psychotic illness in the two years before his death was warranted.”
Mr D’s death occurred almost two years after he was first admitted urgently to an acute general hospital in January 2017, following a seizure caused by water intoxication, when he was 16 years old.
The seizure was induced by drinking large amounts of water, which he believed would flush toxins from his system.
This affected their sodium (salts in the blood) metabolism with almost fatal consequences.
The investigation also found that for 70 hours following that admission to hospital, Mr D’s case records from his years of contact with the CAMHS community team were not available.
The Scottish Government has been asked for comment.