Teen bitten by a snake in Texas was flown to Arizona to get the closest supply of poison medicine

Anthony Rodriguez played soccer with friends when the ball got away and he went high grass to get it.

That's when a rattlesnake bit his left big toe and the 17-year-old had to be rushed to his local hospital in San Antonio, Texas.

Doctors administered traditional antivenom medication, but Rodriguez & # 39; s face began to swell to the point where he could not open his eyes, Fox 10 reported.

A new antivenom drug had just been approved by the FDA, but the hospital did not have it.

So the teenager, who is now recovering, had to be flown 962 miles to Banner University Medical Center-Phoenix in Arizona, who had it so that he could be treated.

Anthony Rodriguez, 17 (photo, in the hospital), from San Antonio, Texas, played soccer with friends last week when a rattlesnake bit his left big toe

Anthony Rodriguez, 17 (photo, in the hospital), from San Antonio, Texas, played soccer with friends last week when a rattlesnake bit his left big toe

He was rushed to the hospital and given traditional antifungal medication, CroFab, but got an allergic reaction. Pictured, left and right: Rodriguez & # 39; s toe after the bite

He was rushed to the hospital and given traditional antifungal medication, CroFab, but got an allergic reaction. Pictured, left and right: Rodriguez & # 39; s toe after the bite

Since 2000, CroFab was the only drug approved for rattlesnake bites. Pictured, left and right: Rodriguez & # 39; s toe after the bite

Since 2000, CroFab was the only drug approved for rattlesnake bites. Pictured, left and right: Rodriguez & # 39; s toe after the bite

He was rushed to the hospital and given traditional antifungal medication, CroFab, but got an allergic reaction. Since 2000, CroFab was the only drug approved for rattlesnake bites. Pictured, left and right: Rodriguez & # 39; s toe after the bite

& # 39; I went inside [the grass] and I grabbed the ball and on the way back I stepped on something and heard a snake rattle beneath me, & Rodriguez told Fox 10 Phoenix. & # 39; And I heard it hiss and it just bit me, I think. & # 39;

Rattlesnake bites are poisonous, meaning they inject a poison into the victim, but normally they don't bite into humans unless they are provoked or feel threatened.

Symptoms of bites include bleeding, breathing difficulties, blurred vision, change in skin color and numbness.

Until you can go to a hospital for medication medication, doctors recommend washing the wound and then applying a dressing.

In rare cases, a person who has been bitten by a snake can get anaphylactic shock.

Rattlesnakes are responsible for the majority of the 7,000 snake bites that occur annually in the US, but according to Medical News Today, fewer than five people die.

Rodriguez was rushed to the local hospital where he received CroFab, a traditional antivenom medication that contains the antibody immunoglobulin G to neutralize poison toxins.

Unfortunately, the teenager experienced an allergic reaction.

& # 39; My eyes started to swell, started to swell, and they said they should stop it, & # 39; Rodriguez told Fox 10 Phoenix.

He was flown to Banner University Medical Center-Phoenix, which carries a new type of antivenom, called Anavip.

CroFab was the only drug approved for rattlesnake bites since 2000, but the US Food and Drug Administration has approved this new drug.

Rodriguez had to go to Banner University Medical Center-Phoenix, which carries a new type of antivenom called Anavip, which stays in the body longer. Pictured: Rodriguez during his allergic reaction to CroFab

Rodriguez had to go to Banner University Medical Center-Phoenix, which carries a new type of antivenom called Anavip, which stays in the body longer. Pictured: Rodriguez during his allergic reaction to CroFab

Rodriguez had to go to Banner University Medical Center-Phoenix, which carries a new type of antivenom called Anavip, which stays in the body longer. Pictured: Rodriguez during his allergic reaction to CroFab

Banner Medical Center has treated 18 rattlesnake bite patients since February. Rodriguez (photo) was able to fly back to Texas on Monday.

Clinical studies have shown that Anavip would stay in the body longer, preventing complications such as bleeding.

CroFab has also been shown to cause allergic reactions in people treated for rattlesnake bites more than once.

According to Dr. Steven Curry, director of the medical toxicology department at Banner, the older antivenom is made in sheep and the newer is made in horses.

& # 39; It is also structurally different in that it lasts longer than the other anti-poison, so we hope it is less likely that we will see the recurrence of swelling or blood problems in people who get it & # 39; , he told CBS 5.

Banner has treated 18 rattlesnake patients since February, although the numbers are usually not that high in the early part of the year.

Rodriguez flew back to Texas on Monday and said he was grateful that the new medication worked for him.

& # 39; I am lucky because it could have been really worse without the antivenom, & # 39; he said.