Categories: US

Teacher at Prince George’s former school Thomas’s Battersea pleads guilty to child sex offences

The deputy head of the pastoral department at Thomas’s Battersea – where Prince George and Princess Charlotte first attended school – has pleaded guilty to child abuse.

MailOnline can reveal that Matthew Smith, 34, has appeared before the Westminster Magistrates Court today on charges of sexual abuse related to creating and distributing indecent images of children.

The cost does not cover children at the prestigious school, which costs more than £20,000 a year.

The school was informed on November 7 that their new employee – who started his position only in September – was under investigation by the National Crime Agency.

Prince George and Princess Charlotte both attended Thomas’s Battersea until early this year when they moved to Lambrook School, near Ascot. They had already left when Smith was on duty.

MailOnline can reveal Matthew Smith, 34, has appeared before Westminster Magistrates Court today on charges of sexual abuse related to creating and distributing indecent images of children

The school was informed on Nov. 7 that their new employee – who did not start his job until September – was under investigation by the National Crime Agency.

His role at the school was ended with immediate effect, the school informed concerned parents in an email sent Wednesday afternoon, accessed by MailOnline.

Smith, of South London, pleaded guilty to spreading indecent images of children and inciting the sexual exploitation of children.

A sentencing hearing will be held at Southwark Crown Court at a later date.

School principals Tobyn Thomas and Ben Thomas said in a statement to parents: “I do not for a moment underestimate the shocking and deeply disturbing nature of this news.”

‘Our focus is now on our students, parents and colleagues.’

The statement went on to explain that while students should be notified of Smith’s immediate departure, the school has no intention of “elaborating further” on the reasons behind his dismissal.

The front door of Smith’s home address had been kicked in when MailOnline arrived Wednesday night

The front door of Smith’s home address had been kicked in when MailOnline arrived Wednesday night

Related Post

“We will have to work together to answer children’s questions in an age-appropriate way,” they said.

“If you’re not sure what to say to your child and would like more advice, please don’t hesitate to reach out to one of the following members of our leadership team.”

The school has promised to continue contacts with the authorities.

Prior to joining Thomas’s Battersea, Smith was an assistant headteacher at the British School in Kathmandu, Nepal, for five years.

He also taught at St Paul’s School and has degrees from both Oxford and Cambridge.

A source told MailOnline that few of the school’s parents had met him, as he only joined Thomas’s Battersea in September.

Smith was arrested on Sunday and the school notified Monday. Pictured: his house, with the door removed and replaced with plywood

The front door was off the hinges and replaced with a piece of wood after Smith’s arrest

Kensington Palace released a statement in August revealing Kate and William’s decision to move out of school.

“Their Royal Highnesses are extremely grateful to Thomas’s Battersea, where George and Charlotte have had a happy start to their education since 2017 and 2019 respectively, and they are delighted to have found a school for all three of their children who share the same ethos and values ​​as those from Thomas. .’

The move has reportedly been made so that the children can ‘live as normal a family life as possible’ – allowing them to be raised in a more rural environment outside the hustle and bustle of central London.

Thomas’s Battersea is highly selective and reportedly has a waiting list from birth. Even then, the place of a child in school is not guaranteed.

The school offers special programs from ballet and drama to modern foreign languages, music and art. School clubs range from a LEGO club to a pottery club.

MailOnline has contacted the school and the palace for comment.

Are you a parent at the school? Email brittany.chain@mailonline.com

School principals Tobyn Thomas and Ben Thomas said in a statement to parents: “I do not for a moment underestimate the shocking and deeply disturbing nature of this news.”

Jacky

Recent Posts

Iranian man ‘shot in the head’ by security forces for celebrating US World Cup win

For free real-time breaking news alerts sent straight to your inbox, sign up for our…

12 mins ago

Strictly’s Craig Revel Horwood shares throwback snaps as he details feeling like an ‘outcast’

Craig Revel Horwood has spoken of his troubled childhood growing up in Ballarat, Australia, as…

27 mins ago

6 Things to Keep in Mind While Buying Weapon Lights

Today, mostly everyone uses a flashlight, be it for an evening walk, fixing a car,…

29 mins ago

Armed gangs kill 12 in Haiti as public security crisis deepens

Gangs that control much of Haiti have targeted the town of Cabaret for months, displacing…

35 mins ago

Marnus Labuschagne hails century in front of his newborn daughter as ‘extra special’

Marnus Labuschagne hails the century in front of his newborn daughter as 'extra special' -…

35 mins ago

Brett Finch’s wife Elli Johnston speaks out over the NRL star’s child abuse material conviction

Brett Finch's wife speaks out about the 'extremely traumatic' ordeal her family endured after the…

39 mins ago