With around a quarter of the global market, the Apple Watch is by far the most popular fitness watch. Many of its carriers, however, want to follow their activity with third-party applications. If you are one of their numbers, don't worry – luckily the popularity of the watch means that many commonly used apps – such as MyFitnessPal, Couch to 5K, Strava and Nike Training – have made that process fairly simple.
It is basically a matter of installing the app on your phone, ensuring that the Watch app is also installed and adjusting a few settings. Here you can read how you can synchronize these four apps with your Apple Watch.
After you have downloaded the app MyFitnessPal (MFP) from Under Armor (available for iOS and Android) and set up your account, it is fairly easy to connect it to the Apple Health ecosystem and your Apple Watch.
- Give MFP permission to keep track of your steps.
- Set the "Movement and fitness" switch to On.
- You will then see a long list of apps that the MFP can talk to. Scroll down to & # 39; Health app & # 39 ;. That's from Apple. Tap it.
- MFP then takes you to the Resources screen of the Health app, where you can decide which data you want MFP to write and read in Apple's Health ecosystem. Most of that data does not come from motion tracking, but from the food tracking that you do in MFP. You can choose which data you want to share. Please note that you can always change this in the Resources screen of the Health app.
- MFP automatically installs an app on your Apple Watch, giving you quick access to the intake of nutrients, water and calories of your day, as well as the steps taken.
Low up to 5K
Couch up to 5K (C25K) from Zen Labs (available for iOS and Android) is an extremely popular app for novice and wannabe runners. The free version does not include an Apple Watch app or calorie and distance measurement, but you can spend and pay the $ 5 for the Pro version.
- Allow C25K to use the motion processor of your iPhone. Swipe through a few introduction screens and tap & # 39; Start Running & # 39 ;. At this point you must give permission if and when you want to access your phone's GPS.
- Before you start running, you must connect the C25K to the Health app. Tap "Pause" on the warm-up screen and tap the hamburger button at the top left to display the settings menu. Scroll down and you will see a switch for Apple Health. Turn it on.
- C25K then shows you the screen to share your workouts with the Health app. Make your changes, tap "Allow" and close the menu.
- The Watch app can work independently; just turn the switch. Tap "Start" and you will go to the races.
Strava is just as close to a lingua franca as you will find in fitness apps. The chance is excellent that if you share your fitness progress with other devices and other people, most of them use Strava as a tracker or let their data flow through Strava.
- Download the Strava app (available for iOS and Android).
- Create a Strava account. The app will immediately invite you to record your activity, but instead of rushing to record, tap "Later" so that you can set up the app. You get the opportunity to follow athletes, connect your Facebook account and synchronize your contacts, or just skip the whole thing.
- You will then see the & # 39; Getting Started & # 39; screen where you connect your Apple Watch.
- Tap "Connect a GPS watch or computer" and you will see a long list of supported devices. Tap & # 39; Apple Watch & # 39 ;.
- Go past an interstitial page, agree to a code of conduct and give access to health-related data. Tap & # 39; Finish & # 39 ;.
- From the Watch you can start following a wide range of activities: outdoor running, bike rides, walks, indoor runs and rides, walks, Nordic skiing and workouts. Tap one and the app will track (and display) elapsed time, speed, distance, and heart rate. By swiping to the left, you can pause or end the workout and play with a few relevant settings.
Nike Training Club
Apple and Nike have a long relationship, so it is not surprising that Nike's interaction with the Apple Watch goes smoothly. Download the Nike Training Club app (available for iOS and Android), create an account, accept or decline the upsell and get started. However, before you do this, you will be given the option to set up your Apple Watch.
- Tap & # 39; Getting Started & # 39; and you get the chance to set your watch.
- Tap the "Enable" button for Health and you can connect the NTC Watch app to Apple Health. (You can do this later manually in the Sources menu of the Health app, if you want.)
- The Watch app is a second screen for the iPhone; it does not work independently. Start the Watch app and you will be told it is "Time to Train". The watch changes along with the instructions that are displayed and spoken on your phone.
Vox Media has affiliated partnerships. These do not affect editorial content, although Vox Media can earn commissions for products purchased through affiliate links. See for more information our ethical policy.