Woman in her thirties with no pre-existing health problems dies of Covid in Sydney as new cases drop to 141… but an explosion of infections could be on the horizon after thousands have packed the streets to protest the lockdown
A woman in her late thirties who had no pre-existing health problems has died of Covid overnight as New South Wales registers a further 141 new cases.
Of those new cases, 38 were contagious in the community.
A second woman, who was in her 70s and from south-west Sydney, also died overnight.
Prime Minister Gladys Berejiklian said the fatal accident involving the young woman should serve as a clear warning to the community that Covid does not discriminate.
The woman, who was from Sydney’s CBD, had no known health problems that could have contributed to her death.
Prime Minister Gladys Berejiklian said the fatal accident involving the young woman should serve as a clear warning to the community that Covid does not discriminate
There are serious concerns that Saturday’s protests will prove to be a super-spreading event, and authorities are calling on the estimated 3,500 people who attended in Sydney to undergo a Covid test in the interest of the community
Ms Berejiklian provided the update along with Dr. Jeremy McAnulty of NSW Health, giving Chief Health Officer Kerry Chant a brief respite from the bearer of bad news for Sydneysiders.
The state’s current outbreak has now skyrocketed to 2,083 cases since June 16 with Sunday’s announcement.
Although the number of cases fell on Sunday, officials are still concerned about the number of people in the community who are contagious.
There are serious concerns that Saturday’s protests will prove to be a super-spreading event, and authorities are calling on the estimated 3,500 people who attended in Sydney to get a Covid test in the interest of the community.
‘It broke my heart,’ Ms Berejiklian said when she saw photos of all the protesters and the police’s response
“I’m calling on all 3,500 people to get tested tomorrow, if not for themselves for the sake of their families and friends,” Police Secretary David Elliott said.
A total of 57 protesters were charged at the event, but detectives are working around the clock to identify those who have chosen not to wear face masks in direct violation of public health regulations.
“It broke my heart,” Ms Berejiklian said when she saw photos of all the protesters.
“Millions of people in our state are doing the right thing and it broke my heart that people had such contempt for their communities. I loathe it.’
“Thank you to the people who do the right thing and to those who don’t… you should be ashamed of yourselves.”
Ms Berejiklian vowed Saturday night that those gathered for the illegal demonstration would undergo “the full force of the law.”
“I am disgusted by the illegal protesters in today’s city whose selfish actions have endangered the safety of all of us,” Ms Berejiklian said.
“The protesters have shown great contempt for their fellow citizens who are currently suffering.”
Protesters were met by mounted police outside Sydney Town Hall – and neither group was willing to back off
Ms Berejiklian thanked the ‘brave officers who risk their safety’.
“This type of activity during the lockdown will not be tolerated and the full force of the law will be imposed against anyone engaged in this type of illegal activity.”
Mr. Elliott previously labeled those who took part in the demonstrations as “boofheads” and said 90 fines had been imposed statewide and many more arrests were expected.
“What we saw today were 3,500 very selfish idiots – people who thought the law didn’t apply to them,” he said.
‘If we don’t . to see [Covid] I will be very, very surprised in the areas where these protesters came from,” Elliott said.
“It was just a whole bunch of half-hearted people. I have no doubt that at least one person there had COVID today, it’s statistically impossible for us not to consider that.”