A law student feared he “could have been killed” after a hair dye patch test gave him third-degree burns.
Jack Valentine, 27, claimed he could have gone into “anaphylactic shock” after trying the Just For Men’s Shampoo-in-Color product.
The student claimed that the morning after he attempted a patch test, his arm was covered in massive blisters.
He said his left arm was absolutely fine after washing the dye off, but the next morning his arm “felt a little bit itchy sometime.”
The next morning, Jack claims he had “excruciating pain” that “felt like hundreds of maggots” crawling under his skin.
Jack Valentine, 27, claimed he could have gone into ‘anaphylactic shock’ after trying the Just For Men’s Shampoo-in-Colour product, reportedly leaving him ‘covered in blisters’
Jack said his arm was fine on the day of the patch test, but over the course of the next two days his arm started to itch and blisters started to appear
He said, ‘I put a little bit on and I let it sit for five minutes and then I washed it off.
“You’re supposed to leave it on for 48 hours, but I can’t bear to think what would have happened if I had.
“The next day I woke up, had my morning bath and it was a little red and itchy a little bit.
“Throughout the day it just got worse and seemed to spread and then in the early hours of Monday morning it was unbearable.
“I’ve had meningitis before and I’ve had surgery and it’s not nearly as bad — it was just horrific.
“It didn’t hurt, it just felt like hundreds of maggots crawling under my skin and it was just relentless.”
Jack visited the Same Day Health Center in Fleetwood, Lancashire, where he emptied and packed the blisters.
The doctors allegedly told Jack that if he had applied the hair dye directly to his head, he “could have died” or had to go into an induced coma.
Jack claims he had “excruciating pain” that “felt like hundreds of maggots” crawling under his skin
The doctors allegedly told Jack that if he had applied the hair dye straight to his head, he “could have been dead”
The 27-year-old said his left arm was absolutely fine after washing the paint off
The law student then claimed his arm was ‘ever a little itchy’ the next morning
He said: ‘The doctor told me they would have put me in an induced coma because I wouldn’t be able to deal with it because my body would have gone into shock.
He then said that would be if I didn’t go into anaphylactic shock first.
“It literally could have killed me.”
Jack explained that he had previously had two allergic reactions – one to a henna tattoo when he was six and one to another type of hair dye when he was 15, so he did a patch test.
He added: ‘I tried to dye my hair when I was 15 and I straightened that out on my head.
“I ended up in the hospital with steroid injections and tablets with my head going like a balloon.
“So I thought I’d try it now because it’s been 12 years to see if it worked and it really didn’t.”
Jack now encourages other young people to do a test patch before dyeing their hair for the first time because “it’s just not worth it” the risks of not doing one.
He said: ‘I know you have to wait an extra 24 or 48 hours and it costs an extra £5, but isn’t it really worth doing a patch test?
“You could get scars all over your face because it could spread, blister, your hair could fall out, or you could die.
“It’s so serious you can go into anaphylactic shock, so it’s not worth it.”
“Next time you can just buy one because you know you’re not allergic, but it’s so important.”
Jack, from Thornton-Cleveleys, Lancs,. added, “Imagine if that was a girl using it, it would have scarred her whole face.”
“It spread all over my arm and I only put on a little bit.
“It could have caused third-degree burns all over a young girl’s face and people would kill themselves for that.
“It’s very serious.”
Just For Men has been contacted for comment.