Student, 21, warns of the dangers of filling a hot water bottle from a kettle

0

Student, 21, warns of dangers of filling hot water bottle from kettle after suffering ‘devastating’ burns to her leg when one split open

  • Cara Wilson, 21, said the burns left her in such pain that she got gas and air
  • Hot water bottle split open on her lap while she was at her friend’s house in Suffolk
  • She filled the hot water bottle from the kettle, but they should be filled with taps

A criminology student who suffered excruciating second-degree burns to her leg has warned of the dangers of filling hot water bottles from the kettle after she was split open in her lap.

Cara Wilson, 21, from Martlesham Heath, near Ipswich in Suffolk, said the burns hurt her so much that she was given gas and air in the hospital – a drug usually reserved for women during labor.

She had been at her friend’s house in Suffolk during the Easter break from Nottingham Trent University when he handed her a hot water bottle of boiling water.

She said she put it under the blanket on her lap and immediately felt a burning sensation.

Cara Wilson (pictured), 21, from Martlesham Heath, near Ipswich in Suffolk, said the burns hurt her so much that she was given gas and air in the hospital - a drug usually reserved for women during labor

Cara Wilson (pictured), 21, from Martlesham Heath, near Ipswich in Suffolk, said the burns hurt her so much that she was given gas and air in the hospital – a drug usually reserved for women during labor

Once she realized what had happened to the water bottle, she had to put cooling water and wet towels on her leg for the next 45 minutes and couldn’t get up.

She added that although the boiling water was on her for only a few seconds, she could see that the burn was severe from the pain.

Mrs. Wilson went to the emergency room at Ipswich Hospital, where her burns began to blow all over her left calf and thigh.

She had to return to the hospital every other day to let the burn heal, but that will happen

She had been at her friend's house in Suffolk during the Easter break from Nottingham Trent University when he handed her a hot water bottle of boiling water

She had been at her friend's house in Suffolk during the Easter break from Nottingham Trent University when he handed her a hot water bottle of boiling water

She had been at her friend’s house in Suffolk during the Easter break from Nottingham Trent University when he handed her a hot water bottle of boiling water

She told it BBC: ‘Many people fill bottles with the kettle, but you are supposed to use hot water from the tap.

“Everyone I’ve talked to since then said they filled theirs from the cauldron.

“The pain was excruciating, but for a five-year-old who could affect more of the surface of their bodies, it would be absolutely horrifying.”

And Mrs. Wilson has been told not to expose her leg to sunlight for at least a year.

Advertisement

.