The family of an unarmed black man shot by police in Sacramento is seeking millions of dollars in damages from the city for his death.
The city announced the claims on Thursday. The family of Stephon Clark, 22, is seeking more than $ 15 million, including funeral expenses, attorneys' fees and punitive damages.
The city said such claims are usually precursors to a lawsuit.
Police shot Clark on March 18 in the backyard of his grandmother's house. The officers said they thought he had a gun but then discovered that he only had a cell phone.
The names of the officers involved in the shooting have not been disclosed because the Sacramento Police Department said they had received death threats.
The family of Stephon Clark, 22, is seeking more than $ 15 million in damages from the city of Sacramento
The family is looking for money for funeral expenses, attorneys' fees and punitive damages. Stevante, Clark's brother, is seen talking before his brother's funeral on March 29
Clark appears in the photo above with his two sons and his girlfriend Salena Manni
Last month, a group of Black Lives Matters protesters crashed at the wedding of one of the officers after learning their identity. While the officer and his sponsors were preparing before the ceremony, the protesters stormed the room screaming & # 39; assassin & # 39;
The incident was captured on video and posted on the Black Lives Matter Sacramento Facebook page.
I just wanted to know if you started planning your wedding before killing Stephon Clark or later? A woman said in the video. & # 39; How have you been sleeping since March 18? And I know that this is supposed to be the happiest day of your life, he will not have that option.
Clark ran away from the officers when he fired 20 times. Officers were responding to a 911 call from someone breaking the car windows when they met Clark.
The death has sparked outrage and widespread protests, and the police department said it was investigating the shooting. So far, there is no information on whether the officers will be charged.
News from the Clark family seeking damages from the city comes the same day that Sacramento police fatally shot a masked man, reportedly armed with a shotgun made to look like a gun. .
The agents were called to the area on Wednesday night after someone reported seeing a man with a face mask, a black hoodie, gray pants and a backpack. The caller said that the suspect was pointing a gun at people, reports KCRA.
Clark was killed on March 18 by two Sacramento policemen as he fled through his grandmother's backyard. Rev Al Sharptoon appears at Clark's funeral on March 29
The death of Clark has provoked widespread indignation. So far, there is no information on whether the officers will be charged
On Thursday, police released the 911 tape from the caller and told the operator that the masked man pointed a gun at him and his friend and then walked away.
"He did not say anything," said the caller.
The suspect was traced to the backyard of a house occupied around 3.12am on Thursday morning. The department said the police opened fire when the man pointed the gun at the officers.
"The officers observed the suspect with a gun in his hand and ordered him to drop his weapon, and the suspect pointed his gun at the officers, who then fired at the suspect," police said.
Authorities said the pellet gun, which looked like a real gun, and a knife were found next to the body.
His identity will not be disclosed until family members are notified, police said.