Panic moment when a stack of toilet paper went up in flames, threatening to burn down a store – as a 13-year-old girl faces charges in the incident
- A Spudshed supermarket almost went up in flames
- Toilet rolls were on fire at the Innaloo store in Perth
- Staff and customers rushed to put out the fire
A heap of toilet paper is said to have been set on fire in a supermarket that almost burned to the ground, while the owner praised staff and customers for “saving the store.”
CCTV captured the large pile of toilet paper rolls going up in flames at a Spudshed shop in Perth’s Innaloo on Monday evening – with police charging a 13-year-old girl with the incident.
The vision showed shoppers and staff with fire extinguishers running frantically towards the blaze in a desperate attempt to douse the flames.
They pulled toilet rolls and flammables away from the blaze, while others sprayed the area with foam as flames rose to the ceiling.
Customers were seen running out of the store to escape the fire and smoke.
The vision showed shoppers and staff running toward the blaze with fire extinguishers in a desperate attempt to douse the flames (pictured)
Staff and customers pulled toilet rolls and flammables away from the blaze, while others used multiple fire extinguishers as the flames rose to the ceiling (pictured)
After a 15-minute fight, the fire was finally extinguished.
The owner and founder of the franchise store, Tony Galati, was grateful for the quick thinking of his staff and customers and said he would personally thank them.
Franchise owner and founder Tony Galati (pictured) was grateful for the quick thinking of his staff and customers and said he would personally thank them
“Every fire extinguisher in the store was used, about 15 or 16 … customers and staff just grabbed them,” he said. Now Perth.
‘Quick thinking by the staff saved (the store). It could have been much worse and people could have been injured.
“They are heroes…I am thankful to the staff and customers, it could have been much worse.”
Mr. Galati estimated it would cost $50,000 to repair the damage to the store.
A spokeswoman for St. John WA said two ambulances examined some inside the store for smoke inhalation and burns, but no one was taken to hospital.
The building was significantly damaged by the fire, but there were no major structural problems (pictured, the Spudshed store in Innaloo)
The building suffered significant damage from the fire, but there were no major structural problems from the incident.
The store lost a lot of stock and some of it had to be cleared out.
“Thank God we got through it and almost 12 hours later we are still trading – it could have been a disaster,” said Galati. 7News.
Western Australian police told the Daily Mail Australia that a 13-year-old girl has been charged with one count of criminal damage by fire.
She will appear before the Perth Children’s Court on March 23, 2023.