Square Enix has the latest main entry in the Dragon Quest series. Dragon Quest XII: The Flames of Fate was unveiled during a live stream to celebrate the series’ 35th anniversary. Not much more than the game’s logo and title was revealed, but series creator Yuji Horii hinted at some changes to the traditional turn-based combat system, saying Square Enix was aiming for a simultaneous global release.
Dragon Quest is the most popular RPG series in Japan. The last game, Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age, was released to the home market for the PlayStation 4 and 3DS in 2017, although the original Western release was only on the PS4 and PC. An updated version, Dragon Quest XI S, was released for the Nintendo Switch and later came to Xbox, PS4, PC and Stadia. In total, Square Enix has more than six million copies of it Dragon Quest XI worldwide.
Square Enix has also announced five new ones Dragon Quest titles during the broadcast.
- Dragon Quest Treasures, a treasure-hunting RPG with characters from Dragon Quest XI
- A remake of Dragon Quest III in a similar “HD-2D” visual style to that of Square Enix Octopath Traveler
- The next big expansion to Dragon Quest X, the Japanese-only MMO
- Dragon Quest X offline, a top-down version of X which does not require an internet connection
- Dragon Quest Keshikeshi, a mobile puzzle game
There are many Dragon Quest to deal with, although alone III and To estimate are confirmed for worldwide release at this stage.