Notorious Princess Diana interviewer Martin Bashir has been thrown off his lucrative public speaking work after a bomb report alleged he tricked Diana into going on camera with him in 1995.
Bashir’s profile on Celebrity Talent International (CTI), where he previously charged $25,000 for a single speaking engagement, was removed last week after alleging he falsified documents and lied to get his historic sit-down with the Princess of Wales .
The former MSNBC anchor was listed on the site alongside stars like Michael Jordan, Tiger Woods and artists like Taylor Swift until last Tuesday, when his page was replaced with the message “We’re sorry, this profile is no longer available on our site.”
British journalist Martin Bashir (pictured in 2007) has been suspended from his lucrative job to speak publicly in the face of claims he tricked Diana into going on camera with him in 1995, DailyMail.com has learned.
Bashir’s profile on Celebrity Talent International (CTI) website, where he previously charged $25,000 for a single speaking engagement, was removed last week after the bomb report
Bashir’s biography on the CTI site had described him as an award-winning British journalist, trumpeting his 1995 interview with Diana. Last Tuesday it was replaced by the message ‘We are sorry, this profile is no longer available on our site’
Bashir resigned as BBC religious editor in mid-May, days before the publication of an ominous report on his conduct by former British senior judge Lord Dyson.
Dyson said Bashir falsified bank statements and lied to persuade the late Princess to attend the landmark interview, and that the BBC covered up the scandal for years afterwards.
Bashir has made hundreds of thousands of dollars from his side gig with CTI, regaling the public with secrets about Diana, her sons Prince Harry and Prince William, and the royal scoop.
Dubbed “the first of the century” at the time, the interview revealed Diana’s affair, bulimia, and her description of an “overcrowded” marriage to the Queen’s son, Prince Charles.
But those secrets, Dyson’s report says, were all obtained through a series of lies and manipulation.
Dyson wrote that Bashir “ordered false bank statements” and Diana’s brother Charles Spencer “cheated and led” to arrange a meeting with the princess.
Bashir infamously interviewed Princess Diana during a 1995 sit-down, her first and only television sit-down
An inflammatory report by former British senior judge Lord Dyson revealed that Bashir falsified bank statements and lied to persuade the late princess to attend the landmark interview, and that the BBC covered up the scandal years after.
The former MSNBC anchor had won a number of awards for his work and collected a BAFTA for the sit-down
The 127-page report was the culmination of a six-month investigation that cost the BBC $2 million.
“This behavior was a serious breach of the 1993 edition of the BBC Producer Guidelines on straight deal,” Dyson wrote.
Biography Bashir on the CTI website described him as an award-winning British journalist, trumpeting his Diana interview.
“Bashir has won a number of other awards for his work and has won a BAFTA award for his now historic interview with the late Princess Diana, which remains her only televised interview,” the site’s now-deleted profile reads.
A source close to the company told DailyMail.com that CTI was unaware of the impending explosive report and was surprised to see a spike in hits on its profile page, but soon discovered the unflattering reason for the aroused interest in the disgraced journalist.
“He’s definitely out of this job now,” the source said. “He also has health problems and with this scandal, public appearances may not be the best arena for him.”
Bashir, 58, contracted Covid-19 last year and is recovering from quadruple bypass surgery, according to the BBC.
The BBC has sent personal apologies to William, Harry (pictured together) and other members of the royal family about Martin Bashir’s lies in order to convince Diana to agree to his 1995 Panorama interview.
“It is unlikely that he will ever return to speak publicly in the future,” the source added.
“It’s certainly hard to imagine that he would give a speech about the Diana interview the way he did in the past.”
The CTI website previously said anyone wishing to book Bashir for a speaking engagement or hosting an event should spend between “$15,000-$24,999.”
Timeline of the Diana-Panorama Scandal
1986: Martin Bashir joins the BBC as a news correspondent and works on programs such as Songs of Praise, Public Eye and Panorama.
November 1995: The famous interview with Princess Diana makes Mr. Bashir the most popular property of TV.
1996: The Mail on Sunday reveals allegations that Mr Bashir used false bank documents to persuade Diana to talk. The BBC deems internal investigations a ‘money laundering’.
1999: Moves to ITV’s Tonight with Trevor McDonald. His firsts include an interview with Stephen Lawrence suspects and a documentary about Michael Jackson.
May 2004: Quits to host ABC’s Nightline in the US. Suspended in 2008 after making ‘Asian babes’ comment at Asian American Journalists convention.
2010: Joins NBC News as MSNBC anchor. He resigned in 2013 after controversial comments about vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin.
2016: BBC re-hires Mr Bashir as religious affairs correspondent. Later he is promoted to religion editor.
October 2020: The Channel 4 documentary claims there was an ‘elaborate plot’ by Mr Bashir to get Diana to talk.
November 7th: The Daily Mail uncovers a shocking file in the possession of Diana’s brother Earl Spencer, revealing alleged royal slander, lies and tricks Mr Bashir used to land his interview.
Nov 18: BBC orders six-month investigation by former judge Lord Dyson.
May 14, 2021: The BBC announces that Mr Bashir has resigned on health grounds.
Last year, DailyMail.com revealed Bashir’s side gig as a paid public speaker, despite his medical problems.
At the time, CTI confirmed that Bashir was available to “do a virtual event during COVID-19.”
“Many artists, actors, speakers and other talent such as Martin Bashir, with events postponed or canceled due to COVID-19, are now considering live streaming virtual performances in certain cases,” the booking agency said.
“They may also accept lower rates. If you are seriously interested in booking Martin Bashir or any other talent featured on our site, we will investigate their desire and the specific fee for your live streaming event or project request.”
Lord Dyson’s damning report revealed that Bashir had told Diana she was being spied on and that Prince Charles was having an affair with Harry and William’s nanny, Tiggy Legge-Bourke.
The allegedly falsified bank statements he used to convince her brother claimed to show payments from Rupert Murdoch-owned media company News International to an offshore company owned by Spencer’s former employee.
The alleged forgery took advantage of Diana’s paranoia that she was being spied on, betrayed, and feared for her life.
The revelations from Bashir’s interview sent shockwaves around the world and led to the princess “running adrift”, left to her own devices outside the royal circle.
Two years later, she died in a car accident in a Paris tunnel while being chased by paparazzi.
On Thursday, Prince William debunked the “gruesome and false claims” Bashir made to get the interview with his late mother.
The Duke of Cambridge said the lies about the royal family “played on her fears and fueled paranoia”, while his brother Harry said the investigation was the “first step towards justice” for their mother.
London’s Metropolitan Police said they will review “the contents” of Lord Dyson’s report to check for “significant new evidence”.
Scotland Yard has previously decided not to launch a criminal investigation into alleged unlawful activities in connection with the 1995 broadcast.
Earlier in May, the BBC’s deputy news director Jonathan Munro said Bashir had resigned from his post as the BBC’s religion editor and was leaving the company.
“He informed us of his decision last month, just before he was re-hospitalized for another heart surgery,” Munro wrote.
“Although he underwent major surgery late last year, he is facing some ongoing problems and has decided to focus on his health.”
Bashir has also shut down his Twitter account.