Spanish tennis bosses apologize after demanding that their quarantined stars be released from quarantine
Spanish tennis bosses return after criticism of Australian Open quarantine measures – after pushing for release of disadvantaged players
- The Royal Spanish Tennis Federation issued a statement on Tuesday
- It requested that Mario Vilella and Carlos Alcaraz be released because they tested negative
- Spanish player Paula Bardosa tested positive for Covid, which led to an apology
Spanish tennis bosses have apologized for requesting their Australian Open players be released from the 14-day hotel quarantine early after a positive test.
The Royal Spanish Tennis Federation released a statement on Tuesday saying two competitors had complained.
The damning complaint also accused Tennis Australia of failing to notify athletes that they would go into hard lockdown if someone on their plane tested positive for Covid-19.
Shortly after asking TA to release its players, outspoken quarantine critic Paula Bardosa tested positive, prompting the federation to issue a fawning apology.
“First of all, we apologize to Tennis Australia if our statement has ever been interpreted as a criticism of their working methods, nothing could be further from our intent,” read the new release.
The statement said Mario Vilella (pictured) and Carlos Alcaraz are among the more than 70 players who are in a hard lockdown, unable to practice, despite negative Covid results.
The federation said the affected players are “ elite athletes who must be active to perform and not injure themselves. ” Pictured: Carlos Alcaraz
The RFET would like to thank Tennis Australia for the effort, in these times so complicated by the global pandemic, to host the first Grand Slam of the season, something vital for our tennis players to return to competing and generating resources.
The Australian government has demonstrated the effectiveness of its measures against Covid-19, as evidenced by the evolution of the disease in this country, which is an example to the world.
The RFET would like to reiterate its solidarity with all players who have tested positive. He also wants to support Spanish athletes who undergo a strict 14-day incarceration due to various circumstances. ‘
The federation’s initial statement claimed that players were unaware of the possibility that they would be “ seriously incarcerated ” if they traveled on the same plane with a passenger who tested positive.
The statement said Mario Vilella and Carlos Alcaraz were among the 72 players in hard lockdown, unable to practice, despite negative Covid results.
Shortly after asking TA to release its players, outspoken quarantine critic Paula Bardosa tested positive, prompting the federation to issue a fawning apology
Obviously these two players … will not be able to compete on an equal footing with the rest of the players. And it is no longer just a strict competition issue of this first Grand Slam. The thing is, his season could be seriously damaged by a 14-day lockdown, ” the release said.
The federation said the affected players are “ elite athletes who must be active to perform and not injure themselves. ”
The organization also pointed to the “psychological damage” that affects athletes in a mentally demanding sport.
Alize Cornet has shared two photos taken during her own quarantine stay in Melbourne
Ten active cases are linked to the Open and 970 people associated with the tournament are quarantined.
Victorian authorities on Saturday reported a new case related to the tennis tournament, a man in his 20s who is not a player.
Another three non-players – two men in their 30s and one in their 50s – have since been confirmed to have the British variant.
Covid-19 Quarantine Victoria said all three had been in a difficult situation since landing in Melbourne.
“Residents arrived in Melbourne on January 15 on a special Australian Open charter flight and returned their first positive tests on January 15, 17 and 18,” he said.