Take a fresh look at your lifestyle.

Sophie Wessex says her ‘prayers go to the victims and their families’ of the deadly explosion in Beirut

Sophie Wessex says her ‘prayers go to the victims’ of the deadly explosion in Beirut after she was the first royal to officially visit Lebanon last year

  • Countess of Wessex sent her “thoughts and prayers” to the victims of the Beirut explosion
  • The Queen’s daughter-in-law became the first royal to officially visit Lebanon last year
  • She expressed her “shock” at the places of destruction in the Lebanese capital

The Countess of Wessex sent her “thoughts and prayers” to the victims and their families of the massive explosion that killed at least 154 people in Beirut.

Sophie, 55, living in Bagshot Park, Surrey, with her husband, the Queen’s youngest son, Prince Edward, became the first royal to officially visit Lebanon last year.

In an official statement, she expressed her “shock” at the places of destruction in the Lebanese capital and shared a message outlining her “treasured memories” of the country.

The destruction of Beirut’s harbor during Tuesday’s explosion left over 5,000 injured, 300,000 others left homeless and panic over wheat shortage after 15,000 tons of grains were blasted from silos.

The Countess of Wessex, pictured in a refugee camp in Lebanon last year, has sent her 'thoughts and prayers' to the victims and their families of the devastating explosion that killed at least 154 people in Beirut

The Countess of Wessex, pictured in a refugee camp in Lebanon last year, has sent her ‘thoughts and prayers’ to the victims and their families of the devastating explosion that killed at least 154 people in Beirut

In an official statement, she expressed her 'shock' at the places of destruction (pictured) in the Lebanese capital and shared a message outlining her 'treasured memories' of the country

In an official statement, she expressed her 'shock' at the places of destruction (pictured) in the Lebanese capital and shared a message outlining her 'treasured memories' of the country

In an official statement, she expressed her ‘shock’ at the places of destruction (pictured) in the Lebanese capital and shared a message outlining her ‘treasured memories’ of the country

In her message of condolence to the President of the Republic of Lebanon, which was shared with that of the Royal Family websiteSophie wrote, “I was shocked to hear of the explosion at Beirut harbor and the surrounding area.

“I have fond memories of the people of Lebanon after visiting your country last June.

“My thoughts are with everyone affected by this tragic incident, as well as everyone who supports them. My prayers go out to the victims and their families. ‘

Sophie toured Lebanon in June 2019, becoming the first member of the royal family to undertake an official trip to the country.

Sophie's statement comes after the Queen sent a condolence message to the President on Wednesday (above)

Sophie's statement comes after the Queen sent a condolence message to the President on Wednesday (above)

Sophie’s statement comes after the Queen sent a condolence message to the President on Wednesday (above)

The countess visited refugee camps and met women’s organizations during her solo assignments.

Sophie’s statement comes after the queen sent a condolence message to the president on Wednesday.

In a statement of solidarity, the monarch released a statement saying, “Prince Phillip and I were deeply saddened by the news of the explosion in Beirut harbor yesterday.

“Our thoughts and prayers are with the families and friends of those who have been injured or lost their lives, and all those whose homes and livelihoods have been affected.”

The destruction of Beirut harbor during Tuesday's explosion (photo) injured more than 5,000 people, left 300,000 others homeless and caused panic over wheat shortage after blasting 15,000 tons of grains from silos

The destruction of Beirut harbor during Tuesday's explosion (photo) injured more than 5,000 people, left 300,000 others homeless and caused panic over wheat shortage after blasting 15,000 tons of grains from silos

The destruction of Beirut harbor during Tuesday’s explosion (photo) injured more than 5,000 people, left 300,000 others homeless and caused panic over wheat shortage after blasting 15,000 tons of grains from silos

The British Embassy is just two kilometers away from the scene of the incident, in the densely packed city center.

The Foreign Ministry spokesman said on Tuesday that a small number of staff have sustained non-life-threatening injuries in the explosion and are receiving medical attention as needed.

Prime Minister Boris Johnson tweeted, “Beirut’s photos and videos tonight are shocking. All my thoughts and prayers are with those involved in this terrible incident.

“The UK is ready to provide support in any way, including to affected British nationals.”

Advertisement

.