Simon Jordan insists he’s ‘not surprised’ by Michael Olise’s decision to snub Chelsea and stay at Crystal Palace – but still advises the winger to leave Selhurst Park next year
- Simon Jordan not surprised that Michael Olise has signed a new contract with Palace
- Olise looked set to move to Chelsea before the move fell apart
- Click here to watch the brand new Mail Sport show “It All Begins” in its entirety
Simon Jordan isn’t surprised by Michael Olise’s failed move to Chelsea but believes the Crystal Palace star will leave the club around this time next year.
The 21-year-old had looked set to move to Stamford Bridge in the summer transfer window, only for the move to fall apart over claims of capture from the west London side.
Instead, Olise committed his future to the Eagles and signed a new four-year deal with the club worth around £100,000 a week.
Former Palace owner Simon Jordan wasn’t shocked by Olise’s decision to stay at Selhurst Park but says it’s only a matter of time before the Frenchman finally leaves the club .
Speaking on his talkSPORT show, Jordan said: I’m not surprised. I don’t know why he would go to Chelsea at this stage of his career.
Michael Olise was close to signing for Chelsea before the move fell apart this week
Simon Jordan told talkSPORT he was not surprised Olise chose to stay at Palace
Crystal Palace were unhappy with the way Chelsea handled Olise
Your browser does not support iframes.
He would go into an environment where there are so many players in a similar position ahead of him. Where I don’t think he could have entered the Chelsea squad as a starting XI.
He is a very good player, he is far from being a world champion, but he is a very good player.
I’m not surprised Palace was able to engineer this. Dougie Freeman is a very competent operator, and he would have spent a commendable amount of time making sure this boy made sense.
I think by this time next year he will be gone.
Mailsport revealed on Thursday that Olise’s proposed transfer to Chelsea has aggravated Palace officials, who believe the Blues crossed the line in their conduct in their attempts to sign the player, with accusations of ‘tapping’.
Although the Blues have insisted they have acted within the rules in their pursuit of the player.
Crystal Palace chairman Steve Parish announced on Instagram that star winger Michael Olise had turned down a £35million move to Chelsea and instead pledged to the club.
Chelsea are believed to have met the player’s £35million release clause, but sources claim Palace were unhappy with their London rivals and had informally raised their concerns with the club.
The south London club were convinced that one of the most valuable assets would bind his future to the club, but his head had been turned by the interest in him from across the capital.
However, as tensions between the club began to grow, the move fell apart, leaving Olise to sign a new contract with Palace.
Mauricio Pochettino’s side continue to add to the squad, and even though they missed out on signing Olise, they added Moises Caicedo and Romeo Lavia this week.