Mother’s dire warning after her little girl’s face was sliced open on a new $2.5 million slide
- Mama warns after incident at a new playground for children
- A young girl’s face was sliced open by a sharp slide
A new children’s playground that cost $2.55 million to build has come under fire after a four-year-old girl had her face cut open by a sharp edge on a slide.
The incident took place at Anzac Park in Somerset, Tasmania, as the girl’s mother, Megan Bellette, took to social media to share what happened to her daughter.
Ms Belette said on Monday her daughter was injured at the newly built playground and warned parents it was unsafe.
Ms Bellette took to the Somerset community Facebook page and said: ‘My four year old daughter unfortunately had a terrible accident yesterday afternoon at the new Somerset playground which resulted in a very nasty and deep cut which required three stitches in the emergency department. ‘
She said she came back on Tuesday to find that the slide was not soldered smoothly and had “a very sharp underside.”
A mother has alerted parents after her 4-year-old girl’s face was cut open after she ran into a sharp edge on a slide at Anzac Park in Somerset, Tasmania (pictured)
Ms Belette said on Monday her daughter was injured at the newly built playground, warning parents it was unsafe (pictured, four-year-old girl’s cut)
‘Please take care of your children. I’ll let the council know tomorrow so they can sort it out as soon as possible.’
Waratah-Wynyard Council disputed the claim that the playground was unsafe, saying the equipment had been certified safe by a ‘playground auditor’.
The council said in light of the social media post that improvements have been made by the “contractor responsible” for the construction of the playground.
The social media post received a lot of attention with over 100 comments, many criticizing the facilities.
“For the price of the park, you have to say it’s not that hot, and it’s open to the public, but it’s not even finished yet?” said a man.
‘Where’s the climbing thing in the middle of the platform for the slides? Barricaded because it hasn’t even been installed yet, and to see things like this… glad your daughter is fine, but that’s outrageous.”
While another wrote: ‘tbh (sic) it should now be closed and investigated and fixed.’
That said a spokesperson for the Waratah-Wynyard Council The Mercury that no official report on the incident had been made.
The park only recently opened and cost more than $2.5 million to build (pictured)
“The matter was forwarded to the contractor responsible for the playground works yesterday and improvements have since been made to the equipment in question,” said the spokesman.
‘The playground equipment was inspected before the opening of the park and certified by a playing field inspector.
‘Anzac Park’s playground is a much anticipated and important addition to the coast and although a child is injured it is a shame but hundreds of families have enjoyed it since it opened.’
The park will only open in 2023 and cost more than $2.5 million to build.
Daily Mail Australia has contacted the Waratah-Wynyard Council for comment.