A violent, professional and competent criminal syndicate that operates "very similar to the mafia" has been dismantled by one of the largest police investigations in the history of New South Wales.
Police claimed on Saturday that the "hired thugs," led by 29-year-old business student Abuzar Sultani, had been behind several murders, kidnappings and extortion.
More than 70 people, including a real estate agent and an IT professional, have been accused of 660 crimes.
A violent and professional criminal group has been dismantled by the police in a three-year investigation
"They were violent in nature, they operated in a very similar way to the mafia, where their status and their speculation was the center of their crime," Acting Commissioner Stuart Smith told reporters on Saturday.
"The business model of this group was professional, it was capable, they were violent in nature, they could move quickly on targets.
"It took a lot of work inside and outside of this agency to break it down in order to be able to refer it and ensure that the main members of this group would face the courts."
Police claimed on Saturday that the network was run by Abuzar Sultani, 29 (pictured)
Smith said the full investigation was kept secret from all but the best-qualified police, but it involved all branches of the force since it began in November 2015.
Federal agencies, including the Australian Criminal Intelligence Commission, the financial body of Intel AUSTRAC, the tax office and the Border Force were also involved, he said.
"They were violent in nature, they operated in a very similar way to the mafia, where their status and their speculation was the center of their crime," deputy commissioner Stuart Smith told reporters on Saturday.
We are sorry, we currently do not accept comments on this article.