For defined, extra long, voluminous eyelashes in a matter of seconds, mascara is the beauty weapon for women everywhere.
Yet far too many women still make blunders when applying the product.
Now Australian celebrity makeup artist Alphie Sadsad has made the 10 biggest mistakes in applying mascara – and how to fix them.
“There is no right or wrong way to apply mascara. I see many women either blink continuously while the wand is stationed, or they wiggle with the wand while their mouth is open, “Sephora Australia’s national artist artist told Femail.
‘What I like to do is to push the staff close to the root of the eyelash and stagger slightly towards the tip. Apply and re-apply between applications.
“Look up and down in the mirror to apply your mascara.” Sometimes raise your eyebrows to stretch the lid and then apply it. “
For defined, extra long, voluminous eyelashes in a matter of seconds, mascara is the beauty weapon for women everywhere (stock image)
How to apply mascara in the ‘right’ way
Alphie said the first step is to make sure you have the right mascara that “provides the definition, length and curl.”
1. Place the stick on the bottom of the lashes and gently move up to distribute the product.
2. Repeat the application along the lashes until they are all completely covered with mascara.
3. Put on your mascara until you reach an extra large volume and give your lashes this super large effect.
1. Pump the staff into the tube
Alphie said the most common mistake he sees women making is pumping the staff in and out of the tube – just out of habit. By doing this, you dry out the product faster.
“Pumping your wand will pump air into the tube and that would certainly shorten the life of your mascara,” he told FEMAIL.
To ensure that the brush is evenly covered, he suggested gently turning the pen outward to get enough product on the pen.
2. Starting with the upper lashes before the bottom
For most women, they automatically apply mascara to their upper lashes before applying to the bottom – but Alphie said this is not ideal.
‘Apply mascara first to the lower lashes and then to the upper lashes. This prevents mascara dots from falling on your eyelids, “he said.
Australian makeup artist Alphie Sadsad (photo) has shared the 10 biggest mistakes in applying mascara – and how to fix them
Alphie’s top five tips for applying mascara
1. If you have your favorite mascara but you notice stains or flakes, use a waterproof mascara as a top layer to prevent stains
2. Snake mascara is great for lower lashes
3. Press your mascara on your lash line to create the illusion of a tight eyeliner
4. Bending your mascarata wand will make it easier to maneuver the wand around hard-to-reach places such as the inner and outer corner of the eye
5. Instead of throwing away the old wand, clean the mascara by soaking it in makeup premover. Use the clean mascarato wand for that lump-free look and comb it through the lashes from root to tip
3. Apply mascara only on the tip
Alphie said another mistake is that women only apply mascara to the tips.
“When I see my clients up close and see that they only apply mascara to the ends of the eyelash, instead of combing the mascara from the base to the tip,” he said.
‘When applying mascara, place the brush close to the root of the lashes and brush to the tip. (Make sure you feel the hair on your lash line, which means that you are close to the root of the lashes). “
4. Leaving a mascara on the tip of the wand
He said you should always wipe the tip off the mascara tip, especially if it’s new because it can make lashes lumpy.
“This prevents creating a random beauty mark around your eyes,” he said.
5. Curling lashes after applying mascara
If you want to give your lashes an extra lift, Alphie told you to curl them first.
‘Make sure you first curl the lashes without the product and then with the mascara. This prevents breakage and scraping mascara from the root of the eyelash, “he said.
6. Remove spotty mascara incorrectly
Stained mascara is difficult to handle, but Alphie suggested that the best way to remove it is to let the mascara dry before being cleaned on the spot.
“Use a cotton swab and pat the dry product to keep the rest of the eye makeup intact,” he said.
Most women use mascara in the daily makeup routine, but they still make blunders (stock image)
Sephora has launched its new “Collection Size Up Mascara” ($ 22) that promises maximum volume – at full power and intensity and durable wear-resistant
7. Do not apply enough mascara
He said that another mistake does not put enough mascara on the eyelash to give an impact.
“Adding layers of mascara will frame and add definition to your eyes,” he said.
8. Share Mascara with other people
“Sharing doesn’t matter,” Alphie warned.
‘Never share your mascara, because your mascara stick is contaminated as soon as you use it. Bacteria thrive in the dark, moist environment of your mascara tube. “
9. Do not throw away old mascara
Alphie said you should never keep your mascara for longer than four months, because that is possible germs in the tube, so you run the risk of eye infection.
“If mascara is held for longer than four months, bacteria remain in the hand and are prone to infections,” he explained.
‘Because mascara tubes retain bacteria as soon as you open the tube. Moreover, the performance of the mascara will not be as good as when you opened it. “
10. Wipe mascara stains before it dries
He said the final mistake is wiping out mascara stains before it dries.
‘Make sure your mascara dries first and then let the dry mascara off. If that doesn’t work, use a micellar water with a cotton swab and lightly wipe off the mascara, “he said.