& # 39; We were amazed by how big it was & # 39 ;: Scary video shows fishermen up close with an 18ft BIG WHITE SHARK that stole bait from their boat 30 miles off the New Jersey coast
- Jeff Crilly, 31, is the captain of the boat Big Nutz Required II
- He and five others sailed 30 miles off the coast of the Jersey Shore on Monday
- While trying to attract a shark with the help of bait, they saw a large white glow
- The shark stole a bag of young and then swam away under the surface of the Atlantic
A group of fishermen had a close encounter with a great white shark that swam to a boat and stole a bag of air off the coast of New Jersey on Monday.
The dramatic video posted on social media shows an enormous white swimming break against the stern of a 31-foot Bertram sports boat as it sailed 30 miles from Manasquan Inlet.
The scene was reminiscent of the Steven Spielberg film Jaws.
A group of fishermen that sailed 30 miles off the Jersey Shore coast, filmed a great white shark that swam on their boat Monday
The tall white man took a big bag of boy before she swam back under the surface
The captain of the boat estimated that the length of the shark was between 16 and 18ft
Jeff Crilly, the captain of Big Nutz Required II, estimated that the shark weighs around 2,000 pounds
& # 39; We have been fishing a lot for sharks and have never seen anything like this & # 39 ;, the boat's captain, Jeff Crilly, told the Asbury Park Press.
Great facts about white sharks
- Great white sharks have such a strong sense of smell that they can detect a colony of seals two miles away
- Film Shark & # 39; Jaws & # 39; was 25ft – only 5ft longer than Deep Blue
- Large whites give birth to a maximum of ten & # 39; puppies & # 39; but mothers will eat them if they don't swim away fast enough
- They swim up to 37 mph at full fur and burst out of the water from under their prey
- They attack 5-10 people every year, but usually they just take a & # 39; sample bite & # 39; out of curiosity before they swim away
- Large white people can live to be 70 years old
- They are colored white at the bottom to make them more difficult to see from below, with sunlight downwards
- They have different rows of teeth that can count in the thousands
- If their teeth fail, they are replaced by razor-sharp teeth in the row behind
& # 39; We were surprised at how large it was. & # 39;
Crilly, 31, is the owner of Big Nutz Required II. He estimates that the length of the shark was more than half the size of the boat.
& # 39; It was harder to guess the weight because we had nothing to compare with it, but it was probably about 2,000 pounds, & # 39; Crilly said.
Crilly, a resident of Toms River, and five others on the boat participated in a recreational mako-shark tournament, where fishermen use bait to try and attract sharks before hooking them up.
They used different types of bait, including the body of a small tuna floating on a rope, as well as the bag of chewing gum.
Crilly said that once the shark came to the surface, he was not addicted. The animal swam on its own and never came back.
The remarkable encounter took place in the part of the Atlantic that has a depth of 110 feet.
Experts say it is rare to see a great white shark off the coast of New Jersey, although the population of this specific species is on the rise.
. [TagsToTranslate] Dailymail