Saracens ‘sued by former star Hankin after allegedly being hit with a fire extinguisher on the head’
Saracens ‘sued by former star Matt Hankin after allegedly being hit with a fire extinguisher on the head wearing a metal helmet in the bar of Budapest during club tour’
- Former flanker claims his career was destroyed during a club tour in 2015
- The 27-year-old claims he was shot in the head by prop Richard Barrington
- He had first helped England to become Junior World Champion in 2013
An ex-rugby star is suing his former club, claiming his career was ruined after being hit with a fire extinguisher as part of a drinking game during a team bonding trip to Hungary five years ago
Matt Hankin, 27, claims he suffered a concussion when he was hit in the head by a teammate Richard Barrington in a bar in Budapest in 2015.
The former player, who retired at age 25, spent years recovering from head injuries and has now filed suit against Barrington and Ademola Adejuwon, the team’s former physician.
The Premiership club is contesting the lawsuit, the last legal battle after the club was demoted and fined a record £ 5.36m last year for breaching its salary limits.
Ex-Saracens star Matt Hankin claims his career during a club tour in 2015 failed
The Sun reports In papers filed with the High Court in London last Friday, it is said that Barrington “… injured the plaintiff by hitting him on the head while wearing a metal helmet with a fire extinguisher.”
It comes just six months after Saracens received a record £ 5.36 million fine and were banned to the championship for violating Premiership Rugby’s salary limit.
In the documents The Sun has seen, Hankin also claims that ex-Sarries Physio Nicholas Court did not correctly assess his injury when the team returned to London.
And he claims that former club doctor Ademola Adejuwon was ‘negligent’ by letting him play rugby three weeks later, when he reportedly suffered further injuries.
Hankin (right) had first helped England to become junior world champion in 2013
Barrington and Adejuwon have also filed lawsuits as part of the case.
The newspapers added, “He (Hankin) has not returned to play rugby since October 3, 2015, when his employment with appellant ended in June 2018, when his contract expired.”
Hankin now works at Haileybury boarding school in Hertfordshire, where he is deputy director of rugby.
Two years before the alleged incident, the flanker had first helped England become junior world champion, along with current test stars Jack Nowell, Anthony Watson, Henry Slade and Luke Cowan-Dickie.
Meanwhile, prop Barrington has been an integral part of the club’s Premiership and European success.
A Saracens spokesperson told The Sun, “Mr. Hankin is making a claim against a former teammate, his doctor and Saracens.
“Liability is denied and it would not be appropriate for the club to comment further in view of the ongoing legal proceedings.
Saracens prop Richard Barrington has also filed a lawsuit as part of the case