The Sudanese Ministry of Foreign Affairs had earlier accused the Rapid Support Forces of attacking the headquarters of diplomatic missions and bodies from which its diplomats had previously been evacuated, such as “the embassies of India and Korea, the Saudi cultural office, the residence of Swiss diplomats and the Turkish consulate section.”
The Jordanian Ministry of Foreign Affairs announced in a statement on Monday that the building of the Jordanian embassy in Khartoum, which is witnessing fighting between the Sudanese army and the Rapid Support Forces, was subjected to “breaking into and vandalism.” The ministry said in a statement that “the Jordanian embassy building in Khartoum was stormed and vandalized today.”
The ministry expressed its “condemnation and denunciation of the attack on the Jordanian embassy building in Khartoum, and all forms of violence and vandalism, especially those targeting diplomatic buildings and violating their sanctity.” It also stressed “the need to respect the rules of international law and adhere to relevant international agreements, especially the Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations.” The Ministry of Foreign Affairs did not give more details about the extent of the damage or the party that carried out the vandalism and intrusion.
For his part, an official source at the Jordanian Ministry of Foreign Affairs told the official “Kingdom” channel, “The Jordanian diplomatic mission in Sudan is fine and is present in safe areas in Port Sudan, like other diplomatic missions, and is working to facilitate any procedures for Jordanians who have not left yet.”
The Sudanese Ministry of Foreign Affairs had earlier accused the Rapid Support Forces of attacking the headquarters of diplomatic missions and bodies from which their diplomats had previously been evacuated, such as “the embassies of India and Korea, the Saudi cultural office, the residence of Swiss diplomats and the Turkish consulate section.”
The fighting in Sudan about a month ago between the Sudanese army led by Abdel Fattah al-Burhan and the Rapid Support Forces led by Muhammad Hamdan Dagalo, known as Hamidti, killed more than 750 people and wounded 5,000 others.
Not spared from the looting in Khartoum, neither the hospitals nor the humanitarian organizations nor the homes left by 500,000 of its residents in Khartoum because of the fighting and fled to other cities or to neighboring countries.
Since April 15, the two camps have been exchanging accusations of killing civilians, as the army confirms that the Rapid Support Forces, whose bases are deployed in several crowded neighborhoods in Khartoum, use the population as “human shields.” On the other hand, the Rapid Support Forces denounce the air raids launched by the army on the capital, which has a population of more than five million people.
The Rapid Support Forces control central Khartoum, and Al-Burhan calls for the withdrawal of its members, which constitutes one of the sticking points in the talks.