WhatsNew2Day
Latest News And Breaking Headlines

Ryder Cup: Jon Rahm fears for the Ryder Cup with Saudi-backed LIV Golf Series

Jon Rahm fears the Ryder Cup with American and European stars competing in the Saudi-backed LIV Golf Series as the world No. 2 admits it’s “one of my biggest concerns” and hopes the “essence” of the biennial event is not lost

  • World No 2 Jon Rahm worries about the future of the Ryder Cup amid civil war
  • Some American and European stars have defected to the LIV Golf Series
  • They risk not being able to play in the Ryder Cup next year
  • The PGA Tour has already banned stars competing in the Saudi-backed league

Spanish golfer Jon Rahm has expressed concern over the future of the Ryder Cup following the launch of the controversial Saudi breakaway LIV Series.

The new format, which started last week with a £20 million event at the Centurion Club, has dominated the sport for months.

American and European stars playing in the brand new league are at risk of not appearing on the biennial showpiece.

World No 2 Rahm fears the Ryder Cup – with stars banned by the PGA and players unsure of their future with the DP World Tour.

“The Ryder Cup is the biggest attraction the game has to offer for bringing in new people,” he said, as reported by BBC Sports

“I hope we don’t lose the essence and aspect of the Ryder Cup. That’s one of my biggest concerns.

World No. 2 Jon Rahm fears for the future of the Ryder Cup amid golf's ongoing civil war

World No. 2 Jon Rahm fears for the future of the Ryder Cup amid golf’s ongoing civil war

Team USA won the last Ryder Cup in 2021, but stars risk not being able to compete

Team USA won the last Ryder Cup in 2021, but stars risk not being able to compete

“It’s an event we all play for free, and it’s one of our favorite weeks, win or lose. I think that says a lot about the game and where I would like it to be.”

PGA Tour commissioner Jay Monahan wasted no time in informing all 17 players who competed in St Albans that they had been suspended, as he sent a memo within half an hour of LIV Golf’s opening event last Thursday.

While the DP World Tour broke their silence on Tuesday, announcing that they are weighing options.

PGA Tour Commissioner Jay Monahan Wasted No Time Suspending LIV Golf Series Players

PGA Tour Commissioner Jay Monahan Wasted No Time Suspending LIV Golf Series Players

The PGA Tour sent a memo within half an hour of LIV Golf's opening event last Thursday

The PGA Tour sent a memo within half an hour of LIV Golf’s opening event last Thursday

“Due to the complexity of the situation, we are still evaluating a general course of action,” reads a memo sent to European Tour players.

The DP World Tour is about to make a final appeal to the Saudi rebels on June 23 as the wave of civil war continues.

Team USA could lose stars Dustin Johnson, Bryson DeChambeau and Patrick Reed for the 2023 Ryder Cup, while European legends Sergio Garcia, Ian Poulter and Lee Westwood have joined the breakaway circuit.

The LIV series has a £180 million prize pool and the opportunity to offer the golf stars lucrative mega cash deals, but Rahm is not interested in getting involved.

“Some of the format doesn’t really appeal to me,” he added. ‘Shooting rifle [start] three days is no golf tournament for me, no cut. It’s that simple.’

Rory McIlroy, who had vocally criticized the controversial event, said he was “disappointed” by the likes of Phil Mickelson and Co who left for the rebellious LIV Golf Invitational Series after initially declaring they wouldn’t. He also told Charl Schwartzel that his victory in the first Saudi-backed rebel event “meaned nothing.”

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More