Rio de Janeiro police find human remains near river while searching for three missing boys

Authorities in Rio de Janeiro have found human remains near a river where the bodies of three missing boys may have been dumped in December 2020.

The Baixada Fluminense Homicide Bureau made the horrific discovery Friday morning, just two days after a man came forward and told authorities his brother was involved in disposing of bags containing the bodies of the missing children.

Brazilian digital news channel G1 reported that authorities found bones that looked like ribs and locks of hair. The evidence has been transferred to the forensics department of the Institute of Legal Medicine.

“We don’t know anything,” the uncle of one of the boys told the online news portal Extra. “The police have not officially informed us. We still have the same suffering of not knowing what happened to the boys.”

Luke Matheus da Silva, 9; Alexandre da Silva, 11; and Fernando Henrique Ribeiro Soares, 11, were last seen together on the morning of December 27, 2020. They had left their home in the Rio de Janeiro town of Belford Roxo and went to play soccer at a nearby park. They were supposed to come back in the afternoon for lunch but never came home. Police received a tip on Wednesday about bags left behind in an area along a river near Belford Roxo. On Friday, authorities found human remains, which were transferred to the Institute of Legal Medicine

Authorities in Rio de Janeiro on Friday searched the grounds of a river in hopes of finding clues that would lead them to three missing children, identified as Lucas Matheus da Silva, 9;  Alexandre da Silva, 11;  and Fernando Henrique Ribeiro Soares, 11, who has not been seen since December 27, 2020.  Researchers discovered bones that looked like a rib, as well as strands of hair

Authorities in Rio de Janeiro on Friday searched the grounds of a river in hopes of finding clues that would lead them to three missing children, identified as Lucas Matheus da Silva, 9; Alexandre da Silva, 11; and Fernando Henrique Ribeiro Soares, 11, who has not been seen since December 27, 2020. Researchers discovered bones that looked like a rib, as well as strands of hair

A surveillance image from December 27, 2020 shows Lucas Matheus da Silva, 9;  Alexandre da Silva, 11;  and Fernando Henrique Ribeiro Soares, 11, heading to a park in Rio de Janeiro before disappearing

A surveillance image from December 27, 2020 shows Lucas Matheus da Silva, 9; Alexandre da Silva, 11; and Fernando Henrique Ribeiro Soares, 11, heading to a park in Rio de Janeiro before disappearing

Luke Matheus da Silva, 9; Alexandre da Silva, 11; and Fernando Henrique Ribeiro Soares, 11, were last seen together on the morning of December 27, 2020, when they were on their way to play soccer in a park near the condominium where they lived in the city of Belford Roxo in Rio de Janeiro . The boys were expected home for lunch at 2pm but never showed up.

Authorities were sent to the area around the river after a man, whose name was not released, appeared before the 39th military police station in Belford Roxo on Wednesday and claimed his brother, a drug dealer, had hidden the bodies of the three children.

The accused sibling, who has also not been named, met with Baixada Fluminense Homicide Police and admitted to dumping the bags under a bridge near the border between the towns of Belford Roxo and Duque de Caxias. He also told police that he was not aware of its contents.

Rio de Janeiro authorities interviewed a man on Wednesday who claimed to have knowledge of the three missing boys.  He told authorities that his brother was carrying bags with their bodies and that the bags had been dumped by a river in Belford Roxo.  The man also claimed that the children had been beaten to death on the orders of José Carlos dos Prazeres Silva (pictured), a local drug dealer.  However, Dos Prazeres Silva is wanted for ordering the January torture of an innocent man named as a suspect over the missing boys.

Rio de Janeiro authorities interviewed a man on Wednesday who claimed to have knowledge of the three missing boys. He told authorities that his brother was carrying bags with their bodies and that the bags had been dumped by a river in Belford Roxo. The man also claimed that the children had been beaten to death on the orders of José Carlos dos Prazeres Silva (pictured), a local drug dealer. However, Dos Prazeres Silva is wanted for ordering the January torture of an innocent man named as a suspect over the missing boys.

Authorities on Friday searched for clues related to the three missing boys near a river in Rio de Janeiro

Authorities on Friday searched for clues related to the three missing boys near a river in Rio de Janeiro

Baixada Fluminense Homicide Police Chief Uriel Alcântara requested an arrest warrant for the man, but the request was overturned by a judge.

His brother also claimed that the boys had been beaten to death on the orders of José Carlos dos Prazeres Silva.

However, Silva is wanted for ordering the January torture of an innocent man named as a suspect because of the missing boys.

At least nine other suspects – including one who is under arrest – participated in the assault on the man, who was lured to a building near a police station.

The victim was tied up, beaten, kicked, burned, bitten and left with a cardboard box over him that read: “Suspected of the disappearance of the 3 children (and) captured by residents of Castelar.”

Another alleged motive, police said, behind the children’s disappearance is that the boys stole a bird from a drug trafficker in the Casterlar slum.

.