Palace of Versailles is evacuated due to bomb threat
- Local media, citing police sources, said a bomb squad was on its way to the site
- This is a breaking news story, more to come…
According to local reports, the Palace of Versailles in Paris is being evacuated due to a suspected bomb threat.
Local media, citing police sources, said a bomb squad was on its way to the site.
It is the second time in just a few days that the former French royal residence has been evacuated, after an anonymous bomb threat on Saturday.
The popular tourist attraction will now be closed on Tuesday ‘for safety reasons’, the Chateau de Versailles said on social network X.
France is currently in the highest state of counter-terrorism after a teacher was fatally stabbed at a school in Arras on Friday, with the site evacuated on Monday due to a bomb threat.
File image shows the Palace of Versailles in Paris
Dozens of staff and students left Gambetta middle and high school in the northern city of Arras at around 10.30am (9.30am GMT) on Monday after police received a threat via its website.
But a bomb disposal team, including sniffer dogs, found no trace of a bomb and hundreds of students and teachers could be seen returning to the high school.
It came after French teacher Dominique Bernard was reportedly stabbed to death last week by Mohamed Mogouchkov, a 20-year-old Chechen refugee.
Mogouchkov reportedly shouted “Allahu Akbar” before launching his attack on 57-year-old Bernard.
It prompted French President Emmanuel Macron to call for a “ruthless” crackdown on extremists in France, prompting a massive security response in the country.
Tensions are also high in France’s neighboring country, Belgium, after two Swedish football supporters were killed when an ISIS fanatic opened fire with an automatic rifle in Brussels last night.
Armed officers opened fire on terror suspect Abdesalem Lassoued, 45, after he was cornered in a café in Brussels’ Schaarbeek district at 8am today.
Rescue workers wait outside Gambetta high school during a bomb threat in Arras, northern France, on Monday.
This handout photo, released by an anonymous source on October 13, 2023, shows the suspected perpetrator (C) of a knife attack escorted by a police officer outside Gambetta secondary school in the city of Arras, northern France
This is a breaking news story, more to come…