Sydney’s iconic fireworks could be dropped in favor of a televised event as organizers grapple with the limitations of the coronavirus.
The spectacle would be celebrated with a historic compilation of the city’s fireworks displays from the past 16 years in place of a multi-million dollar fireworks display.
Vision would be accompanied by performances by Australian artists.
While partygoers would be moved from public parks and harbor foreshore to private homes and pubs to watch the show.
Scroll down for video
The New Year’s Eve fireworks in Sydney (pictured on January 1, 2020) could be dropped in favor of a televised event
A group of young women are dancing in the street on New Years Eve 2019
That’s the plan being obliterated by Mayor Clove Moore for fear that a mass rally could trigger an outbreak of the coronavirus.
The idea came up during a planning meeting with state government officials on Friday about how to revitalize Sydney in the summer.
Sydney’s Lord Mayor Clove Moore (pictured) wants fireworks to be canceled and celebrations moved indoors over fear of COVID-19
Ms. Moore has repeatedly told state officials that it is too high a risk to host an event like previous years, it reported the Daily Telegraph.
She suggested the city could still house a number of partygoers, but not to the same extent.
“We hope we can eat outside and even inside on New Year’s Eve, a bit more liberal than now,” said the mayor.
The event typically draws over a million people to the city to view the exhibition.
The mayor is particularly concerned about the logistics of dealing with huge crowds on the city’s public transport system during a pandemic.
She said the city couldn’t handle another lockdown.
Revelers celebrated until late in the morning after the fireworks sounded on New Year’s Eve of 2019
Revelers would be moved from public parks and foreshore of the harbor (pictured) to private homes and pubs to watch the show
But New South Wales Treasurer Dominic Perrottet was convinced that the city’s iconic celebrations should continue with fireworks.
‘I want to keep working with the mayor. We believe that we should have the fireworks not only for economic benefit, but also for the hope it gives our citizens, ”he said.
He said the government has shown it can handle the challenges.
“This pandemic is tough and we’re beating the virus.”
The pressure on the city council of the city of Sydney is mounting to make a decision about the iconic celebration.
About a million people come to the city’s iconic waterfront every year to watch the elaborate 12-minute spectacle where fireworks explode from the Sydney Opera House and Harbor Bridge
Sydney’s world-famous New Year’s Eve fireworks (pictured above in Sydney Harbor) will likely be canceled to stop the spread of the coronavirus pandemic
Local mayors in town have urged Ms. Moore to call while trying to plan local celebrations.
Sydney City Council is working with the NSW government to assess the impact of COVID-19 on New Year’s Eve.
“Health and safety are of the utmost importance to our community, and it may not be justified to encourage large crowds to our waterfront this year,” a spokesman told Daily Mail Australia.
“These events are subject to the NSW government’s public health regulations, which are constantly being changed to address the local impact of the pandemic.”
John Barilaro, Deputy Prime Minister of New South Wales, said earlier that the celebration is unlikely to continue due to the pandemic.
Mr Barilaro said the cancellation of major events in regional areas, such as the Tamworth Country Music Festival, suggests that major gatherings cannot go ahead.
“ If the regions have to lose major tourist events like this, then there is no other option than to cancel the major drawcard events in Sydney and the most obvious is the New Years Eve fireworks, ” Mr Barilaro told The Sydney Morning Herald.
A source close to NSW Police Secretary David Elliott said there were concerns about how to deal with thousands of people who gathered in the harbor to see the fireworks.
“How can you lure a million people to the harbor coast and do it safely?” Said Mr. Barilaro on the Nine’s Today program.
It will be the first time in 32 years when Sydney’s famous fireworks are canceled (revelers celebrate New Year’s Eve in Sydney at the 2020 event pictured above)
Sydney Mayor Clover Moore admitted it ‘may not be responsible’ for the celebrations going ahead (Sydney Opera House pictured New Years Eve 2019)
Police and health experts say it is very difficult to guard one million people on the (port) foreshore.
This is the reality of the pandemic. We know it won’t happen, the risk is way too high, ‘he said.
Mr Barilaro said it is better to flag the decision early before families made bookings for Christmas and New Year holidays.
He also called for the easing of restrictions in the regional NSW to allow for larger weddings, school formals and unlimited numbers in venues.
Sydney City Council is working with the government to assess the impact of COVID-19 on all major events, including New Years Eve (photo in Sydney Harbor fireworks)