Returned travelers at the Playford Hotel in Adelaide are forced to return to two more weeks of quarantine

0

Returned travelers on the hotel quarantine floor where Covid leaked and infected a Melbourne man are pushed back into two more weeks of isolation

  • Travelers at the Playford Hotel in Adelaide will be quarantined for another two weeks
  • A Melbourne man who was staying there became infected and tested positive on Tuesday
  • He returned home from India via the Maldives and Singapore on April 19

Returned travelers on a quarantine floor of a South Australia hotel where Covid-19 leaked have been ordered for an additional two weeks in isolation.

Genomic sequence tests have confirmed that a Melbourne man became infected while staying at the Playford Hotel in Adelaide.

He tested positive on Tuesday after returning from India via the Maldives and Singapore on April 19 and being in quarantine for 14 days.

The man, from Wollert in the far north of Melbourne, stayed in a room next to another person who tested positive for the virus before being moved to a medi hotel.

In a statement late on Wednesday, SA Chief Health Officer Nicola Spurrier (pictured) confirmed the two cases were genomically linked.

In a statement late Wednesday, SA Chief Health Officer Nicola Spurrier confirmed the two cases were genomically linked.

“Research into the exact cause of transmission is underway,” she said.

Prof Spurrier said that layoffs should isolate returning travelers on the third floor of the Playford Hotel during the ‘period of concern’ for two more weeks now.

The group consists of 10 South Australians who will be given the opportunity to quarantine at home if deemed appropriate.

Prof Spurrier stressed that most of the media hotel employees working at the time of the suspected leak were tested daily, although five still need to be followed up.

SA authorities have previously banned travelers from entering the state if they had visited any of Victoria’s high-risk locations, with a few exceptions.

It came as Victorian health colleagues rushed to track down hundreds of fans who attended last Friday’s AFL game on the same train as the infected Wollert man.

The Wollert man dined at the CBD restaurant Curry Vault on Friday, but others did not use the QR system, which will become mandatory for venues later this month.

The Wollert man dined at the CBD restaurant Curry Vault on Friday, but others did not use the QR system, which will become mandatory for venues later this month.

There are concerns that hordes may have been exposed to the virus on the Craigieburn line train while traveling to or from the Geelong-Richmond match at the MCG.

The AFL has sent SMS alerts to all 54,857 spectators.

Martin Foley, Victoria’s Minister of Health, warned that people will soon face severe penalties for not checking in with QR codes at sites, after some customers at a new exposure site fail to use the system.

The Wollert man dined at the CBD restaurant Curry Vault on Friday, but others did not use the QR system, which will become mandatory for venues later this month.

No other new cases were recorded in Victoria on Wednesday from more than 21,000 tests, extending the state’s streak to 75 days without a locally acquired infection.

Advertisement

.