WhatsNew2Day
Latest News And Breaking Headlines

Restaurant worker caught on fire at Parramatta restaurant due to electrical spark

Man fights for his life after explosion at popular Sydney restaurant as shocked diners tried to hold his burnt body against the building’s sprinklers to relieve his pain

  • A restaurant worker is in hospital in a coma after being set on fire at work
  • The 24-year-old was cleaning floors at the On Sunset restaurant in Parramatta
  • The cleaning fluid is said to have ignited due to a problem with the dishwasher
  • Workers held the man to the sprinklers while they waited for emergency services

A hospitality worker is fighting for his life in hospital after being set on fire by a reported explosion at a restaurant.

The 24-year-old man was cleaning the floor at the On Sunset Lebanese restaurant in Parramatta on Tuesday evening when a spark ignited from the cleaning agent he was using.

The worker suffered severe burns to 30 percent of his body, including his arms, face and chest.

On Sunset was packed with diners inside at the time.

An employee is in serious condition in hospital after he caught fire at the restaurant On Sunset (pictured) in Parramatta

An employee is in serious condition in hospital after he caught fire at the restaurant On Sunset (pictured) in Parramatta

The 24-year-old suffered severe burns to his arms, face and chest

The 24-year-old suffered severe burns to his arms, face and chest

Colleagues held the man’s body under sprayers while they waited for the police and ambulance to arrive.

Officers and paramedics arrived at the site around 9:50 p.m.

The young man was treated at the scene by paramedics before being placed in an artificial coma and taken to hospital.

It is believed that the employee was cleaning the floor of the restaurant and caught fire when the cleaning fluid he was using ignited due to an electrical problem with a nearby dishwasher.

“This patient was in a lot of pain when we arrived after burns on about 30 percent of his body,” said NSW Ambulance Inspector Brian Parsell.

“We were able to stabilize the patient and place him in an artificial coma on site before taking him to Concord Hospital for further care.”

“This is a reminder to the public of the dangers present when working with commercial and household gases, we ask that you use caution around open flames and flammable liquids at all times.”

Emergency services were called to the restaurant after reports of an explosion.  Police and ambulance arrived on Tuesday evening around 9:50 pm

Emergency services were called to the restaurant after reports of an explosion. Police and ambulance arrived on Tuesday evening around 9:50 pm

The fire started when the detergent the man used to clean the floors was ignited by an electrical problem with the restaurant's dishwasher.

The fire started when the detergent the man used to clean the floors was ignited by an electrical problem with the restaurant’s dishwasher.

Fire investigators and police investigated the establishment on Tuesday and Wednesday

Fire investigators and police investigated the establishment on Tuesday and Wednesday

NSW Police confirmed that there were about 15 to 20 diners in the restaurant – all of whom were forced to evacuate.

About 150 residents lived in apartments above the restaurant, who also had to evacuate after the fire.

Fire investigators and police officers investigated the restaurant on Tuesday and Wednesday.

The man is in critical condition in hospital.

Working Safely NSW is investigating the case.

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More