The removal of HRH Prince Harry’s title from the royal family’s website was a ‘small’ move and Buckingham Palace should remove him from the line of succession altogether, expert tells PALACE CONFIDENTIAL
Buckingham Palace should go beyond stripping Prince Harry of the HRH title and removing him from the line of succession altogether, an expert has told Palace Confidential.
The editor of the Daily Mail newspaper, Richard Eden, told this week’s show that Buckingham Palace’s decision to quietly remove HRH Prince Harry’s title from its website’s profile page last week as a ‘small’ and ‘trivial’ movement.
“They should go much further,” he told the show. What really matters is that he is still in the line of succession. God forbid if something happened to the royal family, he would become our king.
‘That should end, he should be removed from the line of succession and still be one of those councilors of state who can replace the king…why not remove him?’
He added: “It’s ridiculous to be doing petty things on the website – dealing with the big stuff and making the big changes that matter.”
Speaking in this week’s Palace Confidential, Daily Mail newspaper editor Richard Eden (pictured) said Prince Harry should be removed from the line of succession.
Richard Eden described the changes to the royal website as “insignificant”, suggesting that The Firm should “deal with the big stuff and make the big changes that matter” when it comes to Prince Harry (pictured in Tokyo this week).
Mail on Sunday assistant editor Kate Mansey said the changes made to the Palace website were a sign that “slowly but surely (Harry and Meghan) will not be able to get back inside.”
Speaking about the possible reaction from the Sussexes across the pond in Montecito, Kate said the couple “surely” couldn’t be surprised by the changes, and that they’re not supposed to use HRH titles under any circumstances.
She added: “Harry has made a lot of references to the fact that he’s still in line for the throne, so… some of it could upset him, get knocked off his feet.”
It also broke this week that the Duke and Duchess of Sussex would be producing a film version of Carley Fortune’s novel The Meet Me At The Lake as part of their £80m deal with Netflix. The streaming giant bought the rights to the book for £3 million.
Kate Mansey sounded a warning that the Sussexes may not have many opportunities left to become the Hollywood actors they hope to be.
“It feels like the last chance room for that Netflix deal,” he said.
“They lost the deal with Spotify and there are question marks over what their future is as media operators within Hollywood.
Royal experts tackled a number of topics during the latest episode of Palace Confidential (pictured left to right: Richard Eden, Kate Mansey, Jo Elvin)
During the episode, Richard Eden and Mail on Sunday assistant editor Kate Mansey (pictured, right) also discussed the news that the Sussexes are set to produce a film version of the novel Meet Me by the Lake by Carley Fortune.
“I think the whole world will be watching this and there will be a lot at stake with this project.”
Eden added that while initial reports had suggested that the couple themselves had bought the rights to the novel, it has since emerged that Netflix was involved in the deal, giving the project to the Sussexes.
He added: “So if things don’t work out with Archewell, they can perfectly take it back and give it to someone else, it’s not a skin off Netflix’s nose.”
Continuing to discuss the Sussexes’ deal with the streaming giant, Richard said: “We already had a project that was announced with great fanfare – the Meghan animated series Pearl… but it never happened.” It was left in silence.
“And I think Netflix had this difficult game with Harry and Megan where, what they want is the personal stuff… where they’re tearing the Royal Family apart… That’s what Netflix really wants.”