WhatsNew2Day
Latest News And Breaking Headlines

Recovering Anorexia Died After Taking Illegal Industrial Weight Loss Pills, Study Says

Tributes have been paid to a troubled young Derby woman who died after taking illegal slimming pills.

Annie Gresham’s family has spoken out about the 25-year-old’s death, thanking both the NHS and emergency responders for their care and criticizing the provision of mental health services in the UK.

Doctors bravely tried to save Ms Gresham’s life after she ingested a highly toxic chemical sold illegally as a weight-loss product but not licensed for human consumption.

Ms Gresham was found by a passing ambulance crew on a bridge overlooking the A38 on the evening of 19 November 2017, before sadly passing away on 20 November.

Annie Gresham, 25, (pictured) died after taking illegal industrial weight loss pills

Annie Gresham, 25, (pictured) died after taking illegal industrial weight loss pills

A hearing at Derby Coroner’s Court was told the 25-year-old, from Mickleover, Derby, had a history of mental illness and had previously been diagnosed with anorexia and emotionally unstable personality disorder (EUPD).

The inquest, held on Thursday, January 20, attended by members of Mrs Gresham’s family, was told she had been admitted to specialist eating disorders clinics and had been discharged shortly before her death.

Kim and Graham Cooper, Antony Cooper and Ali Whitlam, members of Mrs Gresham’s immediate family, told Derbyshire Live: ‘Annie Gresham (née Cooper) was a much loved daughter, sister, aunt and friend. She was intelligent, caring, beautiful and had a great sense of humor. We miss her every day.

Beth Shipsey, of Worcestershire, told paramedics she ate several tablets containing industrial fat-burning chemical DNP at home in February

Beth Shipsey, of Worcestershire, told paramedics she ate several tablets containing industrial fat-burning chemical DNP at home in February

Beth Shipsey, of Worcestershire, told paramedics she ate several tablets containing industrial fat-burning chemical DNP at home in February

“We would like to express our sincere thanks to the Police, Ambulance Service and the staff of Royal Derby’s Accident and Emergencies Department.

We were in regular contact with all three organizations and their professionalism, care and compassion were outstanding throughout. We cannot thank them enough.

“Annie has received loving care from many mental health professionals over the years and we are deeply grateful to her for that.

“What we would like is for the individuals who have worked with Annie to examine their decisions and actions and wonder if they would have done it differently in retrospect.

“To remember this next time, for the next patient and their family.

‘In addition, we hope that professionals and people in positions of power will test the level of mental health care in this country.

“In our view, the system has failed Annie and will continue to fail others unless a drastic change is made.”

In his narrative conclusion to the inquest, Peter Nieto, area coroner for Derby and Derbyshire, said her care was not “categorically inadequate” and that Mrs Gresham, who worked in a pub, offered “no indication” that she intended to have her own life.

He said: ‘It was clear that she had deliberately taken the tablets on November 19th. That couldn’t have happened by accident.

DNP’s victims: from a 21-year-old college student with bulimia to a 23-year-old aspiring physician

Several deaths have involved people in the bodybuilding world or people trying to lose weight.

After the use of DNP was banned in the US after it was linked to heart attacks, the message that the chemical was unsafe seemed to get through to him.

But in the past decade, that has all changed. Since 2002, there have been 33 deaths related to the drug.

In 2018, 31-year-old businessman Bernard Rebelo, from East London, was the first person to be convicted of manslaughter in connection with the sale of DNP pills.

Mr Rebelo became a millionaire after selling the “slimming capsules” to customers, but was jailed for seven years after selling them to bulimic college student Eloise Parry, who later died.

Bodybuilder Sean Cleathero, a 28-year-old, died in October 2012 in hospital in High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, after ingesting DNP.

In another high-profile case, 23-year-old Sarah Houston died tragically after the medical student ingested a lethal dose of DNP while studying at the University of Leeds in 2013.

In 2007, 26-year-old Selena Walrond died after taking DNP to lose weight. She also bought the deadly pills via the internet.

“But she must have known there was a good chance she would be seen…” [on the bridge over the A38] and therefore she would probably have been taken to the hospital, where she would have received some treatment.

“If she had gone to a private place, I think things would be different.”

“It is unlikely that she accidentally took that number of tablets and went to a low bridge after taking the tablets and expected to be found.”

The court heard that when paramedics stopped they found Mrs Gresham in her pajamas and when they tried to get her into the vehicle, she made several attempts to run back to the bridge.

The crew took her to the Royal Derby Hospital, where she revealed she had injured herself from the age of 12 and had “recently recovered from anorexia”, having recently been placed in Leicestershire.

Eating Disorders Service for adults at Glenfield Hospital in Leicester from May 22 to October 16, 2017. She later told staff she overdosed on a drug that causes weight loss by burning fat and carbohydrates.

At the hospital, she was checked by medics, but her condition deteriorated and she died the same night.

Mr Nieto, assistant coroner for Derby and Derbyshire, read as evidence that Ms Gresham had a history of mental illness, including attempted self-harm. But he added that her self-harm was “impulsive” and that “she probably would have taken the tablets without fully understanding the consequences.”

A ‘farewell note’ was found after Mrs Gresham’s death, but Mr Nieto said: ‘The note had not been left out of sight, it was written in a journal or diary which was closed.

‘Although the content can be interpreted as a farewell letter, it does not contain any suicidal intention.’

Illegal weight loss pills containing dinitrophenol have been linked to weight loss individuals and bodybuilders.

It is an industrial chemical and it is a crime to sell it for human consumption.

There is no known antidote to treat people after taking it.

A receipt of these pills was found after her death. Ms Gresham, of Fenton Road, Mickleover, had a medical cause of death recorded as lethal toxicity of dinitrophenol with a background of anorexia and EUPD.

Mr Nieto concluded the hearing by saying to her family, “I hope the investigation has helped in some way and I extend my condolences on the passing of Annie at such a young age.”

Weight Loss Drugs Can Kill You

Diet pill dinitrophenol (DNP) has contributed to multiple deaths in UK

Diet pill dinitrophenol (DNP) has contributed to multiple deaths in UK

Diet pill dinitrophenol (DNP) has contributed to multiple deaths in UK

DNP is marketed as a weight loss aid but has been described by doctors as “extremely dangerous to human health.”

It is usually sold over the Internet under a number of different names, but contains 2,4-dinitrophenol.

It is marketed primarily to bodybuilders as a weight loss aid as it is believed to dramatically boost metabolism.

The manufactured drug is yellow and odorless and was previously used as a herbicide and fungicide. It was launched in the US in the 1930s as a weight-loss drug, but was banned in 1938 because of its serious side effects.

Depending on the amount ingested, signs of acute poisoning may include nausea, vomiting, restlessness, flushed skin, sweating, dizziness, headache, rapid breathing and irregular heartbeat, possibly leading to coma and death.

It has contributed to a significant number of deaths, as well as cases of serious health damage, in the UK.

Despite the dangers, DNP has become more popular among the fitness and bodybuilding communities.

It has also been sold to consumers with eating disorders or body image concerns.

The Royal Pharmaceutical Society has issued a warning about the dangerous drug.

Source: NHS Networks

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More