Outrage as a dangerous and malicious rapist who preyed on women at train stations runs free from court WITHOUT electronic control
- A ‘malicious’ rapist walked without electronic control from the court
- Nicholas Rodney Troy McDonald attacked three women in two days in 2010
- He spent nine and a half years behind bars for the attacks on train stations
- But Faulkner has now been released without electronic control
A rapist incarcerated for assaulting three women has been released without considering being declared a dangerous sex offender in a decision that the Western Australian opposition has termed “catastrophic failure.”
Nicholas Rodney Troy McDonald, now using the surname Faulkner, has spent nine and a half years behind bars for attacks lasting more than two days in November 2010 along the Joondalup Railway in north Perth.
The Review Commission on Dangerous Sex Offenders has not referred McDonald’s case to the director of the prosecution.
Nicholas Rodney Troy McDonald (pictured), now using the surname Faulkner, has spent nine and a half years behind bars for attacks lasting more than two days in November 2010
If they had, the DPP could have filed a dangerous sex offender filing with the Washington Supreme Court, which could have resulted in McDonald being under stricter supervision, including electronic surveillance.
The Prisoners Review Board instead placed him on a post-sentence supervision order.
Opposition spokesman Peter Katsambanis said the community had been let down by a broken legal system.
“This catastrophic failure is another example of the WA Labor government that speaks harshly about crime but is not performing, and our community is now at risk of further harm from this evil man,” said Mr. Katsambanis on Wednesday.
“The time for excuses is over. The government must explain how this catastrophic failure has happened, what it will do about it and convince the community that it will never happen again.
“She should also consider all available options to file a new application to impose stricter conditions on this dangerous criminal.”
Prime Minister Mark McGowan said he was “surprised and disappointed” when he heard what had happened.
“I’m getting urgent advice on whether to do something about it or not, but it’s clearly not a good situation,” he told reporters.
Faulkner pleaded guilty to a series of offenses after the 2010 attacks, which he did while using amphetamines and alcohol on the Joondalup train line (photo)
Although he is not allowed to drink alcohol, be in possession of illicit drugs, and cannot step foot in licensed locations, he is free to use trains.
Nor should he have any contact with any of his three victims, the Western Australian reported.
Faulkner pleaded guilty to a series of offenses related to the 2010 attacks, involving amphetamines and alcohol.
In court, he was described as an “opportunistic sexual predator.”
During the 2011 conviction, the court heard that Faulkner would randomly choose girls at stations, and even follow one up to her house.
Another victim was forced into a car and raped, while the third was sexually assaulted in the nearby bushland.
Faulkner was on bail at the time, but was filmed following the girls on multiple CCTV cameras before being recognized and arrested.