Advertisements
The water supply at Tangalooma Island Resort (photo) on Moreton Island is polluted, causing 50 guests and staff to have gastroenteritis

Guests at a luxury island resort in Queensland are warned not to drink tap water after the supply was contaminated with E. coli

  • The water supply at a resort in Queensland was contaminated earlier this week
  • Guests and staff are advised to boil their water or buy bottled water
  • People are advised to consult a doctor if they experience symptoms of gastro
Advertisements

Guests at a luxury resort have been told not to drink tap water after more than 50 people were affected by gastroenteritis during an E. coli outbreak.

Guests and staff at Tangalooma Island Resort on Moreton Island – off the southeast coast of Queensland – were advised this week to boil their water or buy bottled until the source of the contamination was found.

Metro South Health Public Health Doctor Kari Jarvinen said that water tests are currently underway.

The water supply at Tangalooma Island Resort (photo) on Moreton Island is polluted, causing 50 guests and staff to have gastroenteritis

Advertisements

The water supply at Tangalooma Island Resort (photo) on Moreton Island is polluted, causing 50 guests and staff to have gastroenteritis

Researchers are investigating whether sewage had leaked into the pipes, according to The courier post.

There is no information about whether the groundwater was contaminated.

People are also advised to see a doctor immediately if they experience symptoms of nausea, vomiting, diarrhea and stomach cramps.

A Queensland Health spokeswoman confirmed to Daily Mail Australia that they have been notified of more than 50 cases of gastroenteritis at the resort.

Dr. Jarvinen said the Metro South Public Health Unit is now working with Tangalooma Resort and the Brisbane City Council.

"Drinking water supply testing at the resort has identified bacterial contamination that is being addressed and further testing is underway," Dr. Jarvinen in a statement.

Advertisements

& # 39; Anyone at the resort or anyone who has recently visited the resort should be alert to symptoms of gastroenteritis and seek medical advice if they are concerned.

Guests and staff are advised to boil their water or buy bottled water for drinking - but to stay away from tap water (supply)

Guests and staff are advised to boil their water or buy bottled water for drinking - but to stay away from tap water (supply)

Guests and staff are advised to boil their water or buy bottled water for drinking – but to stay away from tap water (supply)

& # 39; Facility management issues alerts to residents and guests. & # 39;

A woman who was on holiday in an accommodation near the resort – but not owned by Tangalooma Island Resort – said she was told about the polluted water only a day after the resort guests found out.

Advertisements

& # 39; We found out from other resort guests who came to visit us at our house. We drank the water and they said, "Oh stop, don't drink the water," she said ABC.

& # 39; We were really disappointed with the response. & # 39;

A spokeswoman for Tangalooma Island Resort told Daily Mail Australia that some guests and employees had reported nausea, diarrhea and stomach cramps.

A Queensland Health spokeswoman confirmed to Daily Mail Australia that they have been notified of more than 50 cases of gastroenteritis in the resort (photo)

A Queensland Health spokeswoman confirmed to Daily Mail Australia that they have been notified of more than 50 cases of gastroenteritis in the resort (photo)

A Queensland Health spokeswoman confirmed to Daily Mail Australia that they have been notified of more than 50 cases of gastroenteritis in the resort (photo)

Advertisements

& # 39; We are currently working with both Queensland Health and Queensland Ambulance Service to determine the exact number of guests and staff affected and have also tried to contact all guests who left the resort during this period, & # 39 ; she said.

& # 39; We can say with certainty that fewer than 10 people have reported health problems to resort management in recent days.

& # 39; There are a number of cases where guests have recently arrived at the resort with viral infections similar to gastroenteritis contracted prior to arrival. & # 39;

More researchers are expected to be sent by Queensland Health to the resort to continue testing.

Symptoms and causes of E. coli

E. coli (Escherichia coli) is a type of bacteria that normally lives in the intestines. It is also in the gut of some animals.

Advertisements

Most E. coli species are harmless and even help keep the digestive tract healthy. But some species can cause diarrhea if contaminated food or drink is consumed.

symptoms:

Diarrhea, which can range from mild and watery to severe and bloody

Abdominal cramps, pain or sensitivity

Nausea and vomiting, with some people

How it is contracted:

The most common way to get an E. coli infection is to eat contaminated food such as:

Ground Beef – When cattle are slaughtered and processed, E. coli bacteria can get onto the meat in their intestines. Ground beef combines meat from many different cattle, which increases the risk of infection.

Unpasteurized milk – E. coli bacteria on a cow's udder or on milking equipment can end up in raw milk.

Fresh produce – Waste from livestock farms can contaminate fields where fresh produce is grown. Certain vegetables, such as spinach and lettuce, are particularly vulnerable to this type of contamination.

Advertisements

SOURCE: Health Direct

. (TagsToTranslate) Dailymail (t) news