A Queensland family have been left homeless after their Sandstone Point rental property made them sick
- The home of a family of six was contaminated by methamphetamine
- It is alleged that the former tenants ran a meth lab
- Methamphetamine residue can be deadly, especially for young children
- READ MORE: House destroyed after tenants cook meth
A family of six who suddenly turned ‘gross’ after moving into their new rental home have been shocked to learn they were riddled with methamphetamine.
Queensland mother Emily Thornton said she became suspicious that something toxic was at the family home in Sandstone Point, north Brisbane, shortly after moving in.
She decided to have the house tested after talking to neighbors who were suspicious of previous tenants, but her landlord told her she would have to pay for it.
After shelling out $500, the horrified mum learned her home had nearly three times the safe amount of meth contamination.
The safe level of methamphetamine residue is less than 0.5 micrograms per 100cm² – the family’s home contained 1.3 micrograms per 100cm².
Emily Thornton (pictured just outside the house with her children and husband) said she discovered her new rental home in north Brisbane had almost three times the safe amount of methamphetamine residue after having paid for a test herself.
It is alleged that the former tenants of the house ran a meth lab.
Methamphetamine contamination can cause serious illness and even death, especially in young children.
Ms Thornton said the residue was found throughout the family home, including the children’s playroom.
The landlord has offered to clean the house, but the family will have to pay for their own emergency accommodation in the meantime.
“We’re not allowed there, basically we’re starting from zero – we have nothing, absolutely nothing,” Ms Thornton said. 7News.
“They just told us to get out, we just took what we got and walked out.”
She and her husband said they could not afford temporary accommodation and did not know where they would go.
“We just don’t know what we’re going to do. We don’t have the money to pay it,’ Ms Thornton said.
The family of six have been told to arrange their own emergency accommodation, which they cannot afford, while the methamphetamine is cleared from the house (pictured, a positive methamphetamine test taken at home)
Australian Meth Alerts spokesman David Pie said residues of the drug are invisible and odorless and therefore often go undetected during standard rental change checks.
However, he said methamphetamine contamination is a “well-known” problem in the real estate industry and called for regular drug testing to be made mandatory.
“It’s out of control and it’s just ignored,” he said.