The Queen thought calmly and remembered Prince Philip on what would have been her husband’s 100th birthday, a royal expert has claimed.
The 95-year-old monarch paid a moving tribute to the Duke of Edinburgh earlier this week by planting a special rose in the garden of her home, Windsor Castle.
Palace sources have now revealed how the Queen, who will have a busy weekend gathering with President Joe Biden and receive him and Jill Biden for tea at Windsor Castle, had no engagements yesterday and instead spent the day in private.
Royal insiders told Vanity FairHer Majesty’s Katie Nicholl was visited by Prince Andrew and the Wessexes on the poignant occasion.
The Queen, 95, quietly pondered and remembered Prince Philip on what would have been her husband’s 100th birthday yesterday, a royal expert has claimed
Prince Philip died of ‘old age’, according to his death certificate. The Duke of Edinburgh passed away peacefully on April 9 at the age of 99, Buckingham Palace announced at the time.
In an interview broadcast yesterday, Prince Edward said his mother, the Queen, is doing ‘remarkably well’ despite her husband’s death after 73 years of marriage in April, and says she is enjoying being after a ‘difficult’ lockdown. to take up royal duties again.
Edward and his wife Sophie, Countess of Wessex, are among the senior royals taking a more active role in supporting the Queen, who has also returned to her duties and is “actually doing remarkably well” despite her loss.
He told CNN: “I think it was a fantastic collaboration, but life has become considerably busier in recent weeks. Things are starting to open up more, there are more activities that are so strange that they fill a certain void.”
Royal insiders told Vanity Fair’s Katie Nicholl Her Majesty expected visits from Prince Andrew and the Wessexes at the poignant occasion
And last night, the Princess Royal, 70, paid tribute to her father’s can-do attitude and curious nature as she recalled his life.
Speaking to ITV News from her home at Gatcombe Park in Gloucestershire in her first interview since Prince Philip’s death in April, Princess Anne, 70, said the family ‘must all move on’, adding: ‘But it’s important to remember .’
She explained, “Not many people understood how broad his interests were and how supportive he was to an astonishingly wide range of organizations.”
She recalled his can-do attitude and said, “When something broke, there was always a thought, ‘Take a look at this and see if you can fix it”.
Last night, the Princess Royal, 70, paid tribute to her father’s can-do attitude and curious nature as she recalled his life
She said Prince Philip’s practicality had shaped her childhood, saying: “Your life experience has a huge impact… He had seen a lot of it and in a very wide area of both work and industry and academia.
He probably asked more questions than he gave opinions. He was always good at that.’
Yesterday, members of the royal family took to social media to pay tribute to Prince Philip.
The Prince of Wales, 72, paid his respects to his father by posting an adorable black and white photo showing a young Prince Charles welcoming the Duke home from a trip to Malta in 1951.
The Queen received a rose plant called ‘the Duke of Edinburgh’ earlier this week, which was planted in the East Terrace Garden in a memorial at Windsor Castle
Elsewhere, the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge went to the Kensington Royal Twitter and shared two photos of the Queen planting a beautiful ‘Duke of Edinburgh’ rose in the East Terrace Garden on Wednesday in honor of Prince Philip.
Meanwhile, the Queen received a rose plant called ‘the Duke of Edinburgh’, which was planted earlier this week in the East Terrace Garden in a memorial at Windsor Castle.
The monarch received the shrub last week from the aptly named Keith Weed, president of the Royal Horticultural Society (RHS).
The deep pink memorial plant was officially named in memory of the Duke who died on April 9 at the age of 99.
The rose (pictured as a gift to the Queen) was planted in a mixed rose border at Windsor Castle on Wednesday
The royalties from the flower sales will go to the Duke of Edinburgh Award’s Living Legacy Fund, which is helping young people participate in the scheme.
The harrowing day comes when Prince Harry threatened legal action against the BBC after it was reported that he and Meghan Markle had not asked the Queen for permission to name their daughter Lilibet – when an extraordinary briefing war broke out between the Sussexes, the palace and the company.
Senior sources at Buckingham Palace told the BBC’s royal correspondent Jonny Dymond this morning that the Queen was ‘never’ asked for her opinion on the couple’s decision to name their new baby after her childhood nickname.
However, Harry hit back within 90 minutes of the BBC report’s publication via a statement from his and Meghan’s close friend Omid Scobie, stating that the Queen was the first person to call the Duke after the birth of his daughter.
The harrowing day comes when Prince Harry threatened the BBC with legal action after it reported that he and Meghan Markle had not asked the Queen for permission to name their daughter Lilibet
Mr Scobie, who wrote the couple’s bombshell Finding Freedom biography, also claimed that the Sussexes would not have used the name Lilibet unless the Queen had supported the move.
Harry, who announced they were expecting a girl with his wife Meghan during their interview with Oprah in March, went one step further a few hours after his rebuttal of the report, threatening the BBC with legal action through law firm Schillings.
The notice of the legal action was followed by a carefully worded statement that raised more questions than answers as to whether the Queen had consented or whether the couple had simply informed her of their intentions in fait accompli.
The statement insisted the BBC report was completely wrong and read: ‘The Duke spoke to his family prior to the announcement, in fact his grandmother was the first relative he called.
“During that conversation, he shared their hopes of naming their daughter Lilibet in her honor. If she hadn’t been helpful, they wouldn’t have used the name.’
The BBC subsequently amended its report, although the article still says the Queen was not asked for the baby’s name. Mr Dymond’s tweets citing a Buckingham Palace source also stand.
The BBC’s report on the palace’s position and Harry’s fiery response implies that both sides believe they are telling the truth on the matter. It suggests that Harry and Meghan could have inquired the Queen of Lilibet’s name before taking Her Majesty’s non-denial as consent.
On the other hand, the palace briefings seem to indicate that the queen felt she had been given the couple’s decision and was asked to stamp it rather than give it consent.