Bafta president Prince William was ‘kept in the dark’ over the Noel Clarke sex allegations before the actor-producer was recognized by the academy.
The Duke of Cambridge’s speech was canceled due to the death of his grandfather, the Duke of Edinburgh, but it is reported that he intended to praise Bafta for his diversity.
Prince William last year shared his ‘frustration’ at the lack of diversity among the white-dominated Baftas and announced a ‘complete and thorough overhaul’.
Bafta president Prince William (pictured, left, at last year’s ceremony) was ‘kept in the dark’ over allegations faced by actor and producer Noel Clark (right) and had to commend the academy for his diversity before his speech was canceled after his grandfather’s death last month
Clarke will receive the Outstanding British Contribution To Cinema Award from Bafta on April 10
But when the academy awarded Noel Clarke for his “ outstanding British contribution ” to cinema, the president would praise Bafta, unaware that Clarke faced a string of allegations of sexual misconduct, the Sunday Times reports.
Earlier this week, The Guardian released allegations of misconduct from 20 women who knew Clarke professionally.
Clarke has previously said he “vehemently” denies allegations of sexual misconduct or criminal behavior, but said he will seek professional help and has “deeply” apologized for his actions.
Senior figures at Bafta had been tipped off about Clarke’s alleged behavior, but decided to go ahead with the April 10 ceremony in the absence of direct evidence from the victims.
Bafta first heard of the allegations on March 29 when award-winning film director Sally El Hosaini, talent manager Pelumi Akindude and Bafta-winning actor James Krishna Floyd wrote a joint letter to the organization’s leaders.
According to the Guardian, the letter said they were “ extremely concerned ” about the intention to give Clarke the award, given the first-hand stories they had heard.
Noel Clarke, who vehemently denies the allegations, pictured with his wife, former makeup artist Iris Da Silva, at the 70th EE British Academy Film Awards at Royal Albert Hall in 2017
But according to the Sunday Times, Prince William was only made aware of the allegations last week.
Bafta declined to comment on his interactions with Kensington Palace when contacted by the newspaper.
Since the allegations were made public, Bafta has suspended Clarke’s membership of the organization and his outstanding British contribution to the film award, which he received at the film academy awards.
On Friday night, ITV pulled the closing episode of the drama Viewpoint, which starred the 45-year-old.
Broadcaster Sky, which has aired three series of Clarke’s Bulletproof series, has also said it is ending its partnership with Clarke following the allegations.
In response to the allegations, the actor said in a statement: ‘I strongly deny any sexual or criminal misconduct.
However, recent reports have made it clear to me that some of my actions have affected people in ways that I did not intend or realized.
The Met Police said they received a third-party report of a sex offense after actor and director Noel Clarke (pictured in 2008) was accused of bullying and groping by 20 women.
‘For those individuals, I am very sorry. I will seek professional help to educate and change myself for the better. ‘
His comments came amid reports that Bafta spent two weeks deciding how best to respond to allegations against Clarke before handing him an award.
The film academy was made aware of allegations of sexual harassment, bullying and verbal abuse shortly after it announced its intention to honor the director with an award for outstanding British contribution to cinema, The Guardian said.
It added that senior figures within the film academy were concerned about the potential reputational damage to the organization in handling the claims against Clarke.
Bafta Chairman Krishnendu Majumdar was reportedly aware that as many as 12 women would be making allegations against Clarke on the eve of the awards ceremony.
He tried to speak to anyone who had first-hand experience of Clarke’s alleged misconduct and told an industry figure that he was ‘trying to do something’ about the situation because it could ‘destroy’ ‘Bafta’ in the court of public opinion, ”the newspaper said. .
Pictured: Clarke as DC Martin Young in Viewpoint, a British ITV five-part drama. He co-founded his own production company, Unstoppable Entertainment, in 2007
Noel Clarke starred as Charlie and Laura Haddock as Nikki in the British sci-fi horror film ‘Storage 24’, released in 2012 and written by Clarke herself.
Majumdar is said to have described the charges as a “desperately difficult situation for us” as Bafta “cannot act as judge and jury.”
He also organized a Zoom call with Bafta’s CEO Amanda Berry, among others, to discuss how to respond to the allegations, The Guardian said.
Bafta has said it will not comment on the latest allegations made in The Guardian.
Meanwhile, the Metropolitan Police said yesterday that they received a third party report of a sex offense after the allegations against Noel Clarke came to light.
Police said: “On Wednesday, April 21, the police received a report from a third party regarding allegations of sex crimes committed by a man over a period of time. Officers are currently reviewing the information.
‘We would urge anyone who believes they have been the victim of a sex offense to report this to the police, so that the information can be assessed and investigated. Specially trained agents are available to provide advice and support. ‘
A third party report is when claims are made to an organization separate from the police.
This type of report is anonymous and means that the claims cannot be investigated by agents, but used as intelligence.
Police said there is no investigation at the moment.