Prince Harry’s phone hacking trial enters its second day: Duke arrives at the High Court for a lawsuit against Mirror’s publisher – as the royal family prepares for more questions after grueling five hours yesterday
Prince Harry has arrived at the High Court as he prepares to stand on the witness stand for the second day of his hacking trial against the publisher of the Mirror.
The Duke of Sussex, 38, smiled and waved as he walked into the Rolls building. Photographers wished him “good morning,” and he returned the greeting.
Harry underwent five grueling hours of cross-examination yesterday when he took the first royal to testify in over a century.
He is suing Mirror Group Newspapers for damages over claims that 140 articles published by title between 1996 and 2010 contain information gathered using unlawful methods.
The royal family will be questioned further today and its evidence is expected to be finalized by 1pm, but it could take longer.
Prince Harry waved and smiled as he arrived at the High Court in London this morning
Assembled photographers said ‘Morning’ to the royal family and he returned the greeting
The royal family exits his car as he ascends the steps of the Supreme Court on the second day of the trial
In his written testimony in court, Harry said MGN’s alleged interference in his life contributed to “an enormous amount of paranoia” in his relationships.
In the most important moments from the first day of the trial –
- Harry attacked the media and denounced the UK’s ‘rock-bottom’ government;
- He described Paul Burrell, Princess Diana’s former butler, as a “two-faced s***”;
- He said stories about James Hewitt as his “biological father” made him fear “that I might be kicked out of the royal family”;
- He said he was afraid he would be kicked out of Eton for drug use;
- He said he made a “stupid decision” at a costume party where he was accused of “flirting with a brunette” while dating Chelsy Davy;
- He said he could not recall the details of a hunting trip he took to South Africa with Mrs Davy in 2005;
- He alleged that “heinous personal attacks and harassment” were committed against him and Meghan by former editor Piers Morgan;
- Harry was accused by attorney Andrew Green KC of being ‘in the realm of total speculation’;
- Duke repeatedly said, “You’d have to ask the journalists themselves” when asked how he could prove articles had been hacked;
- At times, he had trouble locating evidence on the screen in front of him. “It’s on the screen for you,” Mr. Green told him. ‘It’s not,’ said Harry. “I think so,” the lawyer said. ‘If you say so,’ said Harry;
- In conversation, he told Mr. Green, “As a chef, he’d be too busy to make that call.” In response, Mr. Green suggested that he get other chefs to work for him. “I don’t know, I’ve never worked in a kitchen,” the prince replied.
In a 49-page testimony released yesterday, the Duke said he found it “very difficult to trust anyone, which led to bouts of depression and paranoia.”
“Friendships have been lost completely needlessly,” he continued, later adding that some of his friends “became instant targets.”
The Duke later said he can now see “how much of my life has been wasted on this paranoia,” adding: “I’ve always heard people refer to my mother as paranoid, but she wasn’t.”
“She was afraid of what was really happening to her and now I know I was the same.”
Andrew Green KC, for MGN, questioned Harry on about 20 of the 33 articles over the course of Tuesday.
Harry was asked why he complained about articles in MGN titles when the same information had previously been posted in the public domain by other media outlets.
The Duke said he understood that MGN journalists were using illegal methods to get “exclusive” angles on existing stories or to advance the story in some way.
Cardboard boxes are being carried to the Supreme Court this morning before the hearing began
The Duke of Sussex underwent five grueling hours of cross-examination yesterday
Mr Green also asked Harry about his claim that articles ‘made him paranoid and suspicious of those around him’, and whether he was referring to specific MGN articles or ‘the general effect of all articles’ on him.
Harry said, ‘Yes, because… it’s been 20 years and I can’t help but speculate if I saw these articles back then.
“I certainly saw and became aware of many articles at the time… unfortunately through the behavior and reaction of my inner circle.”
The duke added that when information he had shared with only a few members of his inner circle was made public, “your circle of friends starts to shrink.”
MGN disputes its claim, denying or admitting that articles about Harry investigated at the trial related to phone hacking or unlawful activity.
At the start of the Duke’s individual case on Monday, Mr Green said there was “simply no evidence to support the finding that the Duke of Sussex had been hacked, let alone on a customary basis” and that payment details used in the duke’s claim ‘simply do not demonstrate wrongful conduct or knowledge thereof’.
Harry’s claim will be heard along with three other “representative” claims in a trial that began last month and will last six to seven weeks.
The three other representative plaintiffs are Coronation Street actor Michael Turner, known professionally as Michael Le Vell, who is best known for playing Kevin Webster on the long-running soap opera, former Coronation Street actress Nikki Sanderson, and comedian’s ex-wife Paul Whitehouse, Fiona Wightman. .
BELOW IS HARRY’S FULL WRITTEN WITNESS STATEMENT –