Prince Harry today released a dramatic trailer for his ‘Heart of Invictus’ documentary on Netflix as he prepares for the games to launch next month.
Netflix has tweeted out a trailer for the limited series, which features the Duke of Sussex on stage at the Invictus Games, which he founded in 2014.
He says, “It’s here at Invictus Games that you realize – everything you wear was the stepping stone that took you to the next level.” The Games are not about what caused the injury, but about recovery and how to be part of a community again.
Harry is pictured meeting competitors and his voice is heard saying ‘Everyone is going to struggle at some point’.
Netflix said the documentary – which follows the veterans as they prepare for the Invictus Games – will be released on August 30, 2023.
It is being released under the Sussexes’ reputable £80million deal with the streaming giant, which recently paid £3million for the film rights to a romance novel the Sussexes will help produce.
The preview shows Harry saying: “It’s here at Invictus Games that you realize – everything you wear was the stepping stone that took you to the next level”
The Duke of Sussex greets a veteran during the trailer for his new Netflix documentary
Netflix said the documentary – which follows the veterans as they prepare for the Invictus Games – will be released on August 30, 2023
The purchase of the film rights to The Meet Me At The Lake from Carley Fortune comes after a delicate period in the couple’s media careers, which saw them lose their £18million deal with Spotify after a series of podcasts from Meghan, Archetypes.
Harry, who was in Japan for a charity and polo tour with his best friend Nacho Figueras, will travel to Dusseldorf from Los Angeles for the event which begins September 9 and ends September 16.
Rita Ora will perform at the closing ceremony, where Harry is expected to deliver an emotional speech. Rita and Harry have been friends for years.
In a video message recorded at his Montecito mansion before he left for Japan – but which emerged online today – Harry insisted: “These will be the best games ever”. He also praised the competitors for taking the next step in their “healing journey” and insisted that the event, which he called a “house of respect”, is part of his own.
Smiling on the virtual call, he said, “I hope you’re excited and probably a little nervous. I am both. But I can’t wait to see you all and bring the whole community together again. It’s been too long’.
Addressing the athletes, he said: “You are all at different stages of your healing journey” before adding: “We all are – we always will be”.
‘Good luck for the remaining weeks, have fun, look forward to it. Being nervous is a good thing. We have 21 nations this year and we can’t wait for all continents to be represented. Except Antarctica – but I’m still working on that,” he laughed.
‘Thank you for your service, for your commitment, your determination to make this happen. We’re going to have a lot of fun and yes, we’re looking forward to it. We are ready to welcome you. It’s going to be the best games ever, the best games ever.”
Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex and Meghan, Duchess of Sussex arrive at City Hall during the Invictus Games Dusseldorf 2023 – One Year To Go events, September 06, 2022
Harry would be in Dusseldorf for the duration of the matches. Meghan is expected to attend about half of it, including Harry’s speech at the closing ceremony.
A source told the Rheinische Post that it was nother very emotional element must be watched personally by Meghan, Duchess of Sussex.”
Her late grandmother, the Queen, died on September 8 last year. It is not yet known whether Harry will travel to the UK before Germany.
Last year, the Sussexes visited the town for an official competition launch event, meeting officials and potential competitors, as well as the athletes’ friends and family.
He was seen at the time as part of a pseudo-royal tour of the UK and Europe – where police closed junctions and set up miles of roadblocks so the couple and their entourage could avoid traffic jams.
City officials rolled out the red carpet but insisted the Duke and Duchess of Sussex’s visit was private.
They were protected by their own security team, with the couple footing the bill.
Harry was instrumental in bringing the Games to the UK in 2014 when 300 competitors from 13 countries took part in the inaugural competition in London.
Meghan, Duchess of Sussex and Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex react as they watch the Land Rover Driving Challenge, in The Hague in 2022