Prince Harry harbours a ‘Prince Andrew complex’ and fears he has a ‘limited shelf-life’ before the public become ‘more interested in Prince George, Princess Charlotte and Prince Louis’, a friend of the royal has claimed.
The Duke of Sussex, 36, who is currently living in his $14 million mansion in Santa Barbara, has given a series of explosive interviews since he stepped back from royal duty last year.
A friend has said he ‘always been in such a rush to make an impact’ before he begins to slip down the pecking order in the royal family.
Speaking to The Sunday Times, the companion said: ‘Harry has always been in such a rush to make an “impact”, because he thinks he has a limited shelf-life before the public want to hear more from George and his siblings and he worries that after that, he’ll turn into his uncle.’
Prince Harry’s friend has claimed the royal was fearful of ‘becoming irrelevant’ when he was working as a senior member of the Royal Family
The insider also stated that Harry feared falling down the Royal Family pecking order and ‘turning into his uncle’, Prince Andrew (pictured after Prince Philip’s death in April)
The claims come after Harry announced he is working on his memoir at the age of 36.
It was revealed on Saturday that he has clinched a lucrative four-book deal – with the second due out only after the Queen has died.
Harry’s lawyers have said the claim that he is waiting for his grandmother to pass away before releasing one of the books is ‘false and defamatory’.
In news sure to alarm Buckingham Palace, industry insiders said the ‘tell-all’ tome unveiled by Harry earlier this week is only the ‘tip of the iceberg’.
It has been claimed that Harry was concerned interest in him would begin to wane as Prince William’s children, Prince George, eight, Princess Charlotte, six, and Prince Louis, three, got older. Pictured: The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and their three children
Sources said the Duke of Sussex oversaw the bidding and told publishing houses to begin at £18million, with the final figure possibly reaching £29million.
The Royal Family has been left deeply concerned by Harry’s decision to secretly collaborate with Pulitzer-winning ghostwriter JR Moehringer. The two men have been working on the book for up to a year.
Publishers have described it as ‘the definitive account of the experiences, adventures, losses, and life lessons that have helped shape him’.
It is described by Harry as a ‘wholly truthful first-hand account’ of his life. But royal aides are worried that it will prove to be a highly one-sided account of the prince’s experiences and reignite tensions with his estranged family.
The Queen and senior royals are still dealing with the fallout from his slew of interviews, most notably with US chat show host Oprah Winfrey.
The prince has made a string of highly damaging allegations about his closest relatives, including claims of institutional racism.
After the interview, Prince William was forced to speak publicly about the claims that someone in the Royal Family made racist comments to the couple.
As a result of the Oprah interview in March, Prince William was forced to speak publicly about the claims that someone in the Royal Family made racist comments to the couple. Pictured: Prince William and Prince Harry attend the unveiling of Princess Diana’s statue at Kensington Palace
Speaking in March, he said: ‘We are very much not a racist family.’
Prince Charles is reported to have taken the incident hard too, with one source stating: ‘He has genuinely been so upset by it all. He just doesn’t recognise any of the examples or narrative.’
Others are reportedly fearful that Prince Harry’s recollection of events may not fall in line with that of the Royal family.
One royal aide is claimed to have said: ‘I fear they may sail into the sunset now, convinced they did the right thing by speaking “their truth”. Now I hope everyone shuts the f*** up.”
The latest comments come after Prince Harry’s old Eton and Army friends reportedly warned him not to reveal their secrets in his tell-all memoir.
Many of his older friends are worried his book could cause them huge embarrassment and some have warned they are ready to dish the Royal dirt if his book exposes them.
Harry and his wife Meghan agreed a lucrative four-book deal, including the Prince’s memoir, for a figure possibly close to £29million.
Prince Harry’s old Eton and Army friends have warned him not to reveal their secrets in his tell-all memoir due to be published next year and warned they may be ready to dish the royal dirt if his book exposes them
Harry’s book deal deal has rattled some of his chums who fear unwanted revelations could be the final insult after years of them refusing to gossip about him (pictured serving with the army in Helmand province, Afghanistan, in January 2008)
The deal has rattled some of Harry’s chums who fear unwanted revelations could be the final insult after years of them refusing to gossip about him.
A friend said: ‘It feels very hypocritical given Harry chucked people out of his friendship group for talking to the press.
‘There is a fear that he’s going to reveal details of his hedonistic youth which some worry will play havoc with their careers and personal lives.’
Another pal said ominously: ‘Harry’s mates have remained loyal to him… so far.’
Lawyers acting for Meghan and Harry yesterday said reports of a four-book deal with one to be released after the death of the Queen were ‘false and defamatory’. Penguin Random House, the publishing house that has agreed a deal reportedly worth at least £18 million, declined to comment.
Harry’s wife Meghan is to pen a ‘wellness’ guide as part of the contract with Penguin Random House. The subject and author of the fourth title is unknown.
Harry’s wife Meghan is to pen a ‘wellness’ guide as part of the contract with Penguin Random Hous
The Queen and senior royals are still dealing with the fallout from his slew of interviews, most notably with US chat show host Oprah Winfrey
Penguin Random House said that the ‘proceeds’ from the book would be donated to charity but has not detailed whether this would include both royalties and the advance.
A spokesman for the prince also insisted that he had informed his family – including the Queen – about plans for his book ‘very recently’.
Yet the Mail understands his office made attempts to contact the royal household only hours before the story was broken by a US newspaper after learning it was about to become public.
Penguin Random House was contacted in detail about the story yesterday but said it would not be making any further comment ‘over and above what is contained in the original press release’.
Buckingham Palace declined to comment last night on the revelations.