Prince Harry accuses Piers Morgan of ‘personal attacks and harassment’ against him and wife Meghan
Prince Harry today attacked Piers Morgan, accusing him of ‘heinous personal attacks’.
The 38-year-old duke alleged that Mr Morgan, the former editor of the Daily Mirror, had harassed him and his wife ever since he brought a lawsuit against the publisher of the Mirror newspaper over hacking claims.
The journalist left Good Morning Britain in 2021 after saying he didn’t believe the Duchess of Sussex’s claims during her and Harry’s explosive Oprah Winfrey interview.
Harry said in his statement to the Supreme Court: ‘Unfortunately, as a result of my Mirror Group claim being filed, both myself and my wife have been subjected to a barrage of horrific personal attacks and harassment from Piers Morgan, who was the editor from the Daily Mirror between 1995 and 2004, presumably in retaliation and in the hope that I will withdraw before I can hold him properly accountable for his unlawful activities against me and my mother during his editorship.’
The 38-year-old duke alleged that Mr Morgan, the former editor of the Daily Mirror, had harassed him and his wife ever since he filed a lawsuit against the publisher.
Harry on Piers Morgan
Harry is suing Mirror Group Newspapers (MGN) for damages, alleging that journalists at their titles, including the Sunday Mirror and Sunday People, have been associated with methods such as phone hacking, so-called ‘blagging’ or information gathering by deception, and the use of private investigators for unlawful activities.
He claims that about 140 articles published between 1996 and 2010 contained information gathered using unlawful methods, and 33 of those were selected for consideration at trial.
MGN disputes the claims and has denied or denied all of them.
Harry was accused of being ‘in the realm of total speculation’ under cross-examination today by Andrew Green, KC for Mirror Group Newspapers.
Mr Green said to him at one point, ‘That’s not an answer’.
“Aren’t we, Prince Harry, in the realm of total speculation?” Mr Green said shortly afterwards when the King’s youngest son said he was “not sure” whose phone had been hacked when he broke his thumb playing football at Eton and it seemed that in the press.
The journalist left Good Morning Britain in 2021 after saying he didn’t believe the claims made by the Duchess of Sussex (pictured) during her and Harry’s explosive Oprah Winfrey interview
The lawyer also repeatedly told the court that information in stories Harry claimed included details of hacked voicemails or was collected illegally actually came from other media outlets, including the BBC, as well as press releases, palace statements and even public comments from his mother. princess Diana.
Harry later suggested that his voicemails may have been intercepted by King Charles when questioned about a Mirror article titled ‘Harry’s cocaine, ecstasy and GHB parties’, which claimed his father was ‘ill worried’ about his son.
The King was then asked if his own drug use, an illegal act, was in the public interest when he was then third in line to the throne as a teenager.
He is now fifth in line. Suggesting that he believed not, he said: ‘There is a difference between public interest – and what interests the public’.
It came after the Duke of Sussex launched an extraordinary attack on the government – labeling it “rock bottom” – and denounced rumors that Princess Diana’s lover, James Hewitt, was his father.