Prince Andrew ‘wants to do another TV interview’: Duke of York considering revealing talk with US broadcaster despite disastrous fallout from his 2019 quiz of Emily Maitlis Newsnight
- Sources close to Andrew say “nothing is off the table” with “little more to lose”
- He is allegedly favoring an American broadcaster because of the recent Prince Harry hype.
The disgraced Prince Andrew is keen on the idea of another TV interview despite his disastrous 2019 Newsnight debriefing and sexual abuse scandal, it has been claimed.
A second revealing conversation with the Duke of York could be in the cards, with sources claiming “nothing is off the table” amid fears he could soon lose his royal home.
The duke reportedly told friends he might have a chance at redemption and wishes to tell “his side” of the events that cost him his royal title.
“He feels there is little more to lose when he has already paid a terribly high price,” said a source close to him. Mirror.
It was also added that interviews surrounding Prince Harry’s explosive memoir Spare encouraged the duke to favor an American broadcaster.
Prince Andrew spoke to Emily Maitlis on BBC Newsnight in 2019 about her relationship with convicted pedophile Jeffrey Epstein.
Emily Maitlis spoke to Prince Andrew during a 2019 televised interview that focused on his relationship with convicted pedophile Jeffrey Epstein.
The duke lavishly denied claims he had sex with Virginia Giuffre, then 17, who alleged she was forced to have sex with him three times on Epstein’s orders.
Numerous other claims were made during the interview, with the Prince adding that he could not have been with Ms Giuffre at the time of the incident as she was dining at Pizza Express in Woking.
The Duke also added that he had a medical condition that prevented him from sweating, following allegations that he sweated profusely while dancing with Ms Giuffre at a nightclub.
Despite being widely regarded as a car accident, Emily Maitlis previously claimed that the Duke of York seemed “happy” after filming the Newsnight show.
“It wasn’t an attempt to bring down the royals, just a chance to understand history,” he told the Radio Times.
Although Prince Andrew denied abusing Giuffre, he paid her £12 million last year in an out-of-court settlement.
Emily Maitlis claimed that the statement within this agreement appeared to contradict answers given during her infamous Newsnight interview.
During the interview, the Duke lavishly denied claims that he had sex with Virginia Giuffre, then 17, who alleged that she was forced to have sex with Andrew three times on Epstein’s orders.
Virginia Roberts claims to have had sex with Andrew “three times, including an orgy”, with the first meeting allegedly taking place at Ms Maxwell’s London home after they met at the Tramp nightclub on March 10. Recalling the alleged meeting, Andrew was said to be ‘sweating profusely’
Writing for the BBC, he said: “At the heart of the deal is the biggest question of all: why would a Prince who told me he ‘did not remember meeting this lady’ now pay him what we understand to be more than 10 million pounds?
“I distinctly remember bringing Virginia Giuffre’s allegations to her directly: ‘She says she met you in 2001, had dinner with you, danced with you, bought her drinks at the Tramp nightclub, and had sex with you in a house in Belgravia.
‘And now I have the Prince’s answer in front of me. Just three words: ‘It didn’t happen.’
So there are only three possible explanations for the agreement: either he was lying in that answer, and he remembered it well; or he really did not remember, and he was convinced that they had not met, only to have his memory refreshed later; or that he maintains his innocence, but he feels that the weight of public and legal opinion against him now makes settling the easier option, albeit without accepting any responsibility.”
It is now claimed that the Duke of York will lose £250,000 a year in funds from the king as part of a shake-up of private royal finances, with his 30-bedroom Royal Lodge at stake.
He also had to sell assets, including a £19m ski chalet to cover the costs of settling the sex scandal case with Ms Giuffre.
It is understood that Harry and Meghan’s Prince Andrew Frogmore Cottage has since been offered as an alternative home, but he refuses to accept it.
Buckingham Palace has declined to comment.