A Premier League soccer player previously arrested on suspicion of rape faces new charges after a third woman came forward.
The player, whose name cannot be identified for legal reasons, has already been accused of raping two other women in different alleged attacks, the first in April 2021 and the second in June 2022.
A third woman has said she was assaulted in Hertfordshire in February 2022. The player, who attended the World Cup in Qatar in November with his international team, was questioned under a caution at a police station.
He was also due to answer to the police bail this month, but it was extended for the third time until July. The player’s club has not taken any action so far, and he remains available for the first team.
After investigations, the police withdrew the June charge.
A Scotland Yard statement read: “On 4 July 2022, an allegation of rape of a woman in her 20s was reported to police.
“The alleged rape was reported to have occurred in June 2022. On July 4, a man was arrested at an address on suspicion of rape and taken into custody.
“While in custody, he was re-arrested on suspicion of two incidents of rape that allegedly took place in April and June 2021 against a different woman in her 20s.
“In February 2023, the man was interviewed under reprimand for a sexual offense that allegedly took place in Barnet in February 2022. This relates to a third victim and was reported to police in July 2022.
“No further action will be taken in relation to the alleged offense in June 2021 because the relevant legislation had not yet entered into force at the time it is said to have occurred.
“This has been explained to the complainant who continues to be supported by the officers.”