President of Ukraine Petro Poroshenko together with his wife Marina visited the Church of the Savior on Berestove. About it reports Strana.ua.
According to the publication, the Ukrainian leader promised this church to the Patriarchate of Constantinople in exchange for Tomos.
The temple of the XI century is included in the complex of the Kiev-Pechersk Lavra. In 1157 Prince Yuri Dolgoruky, who is considered the founder of Moscow, was buried here.
Currently, the temple is not used for service. For 18 years, restoration work has been going on there.
In early January, the Ecumenical (Constantinople) Patriarch Bartholomew signed Tomos (decree) on autocephaly of the PCU formed on December 15. On January 9, all members of the Holy Synod of the Ecumenical Patriarchate put their signatures under Tomos.
On January 12, Poroshenko, together with the head of the Orthodox Church of Ukraine (PCU) Epiphanius, visited the temple, which has been restored for more than 18 years. According to the newspaper, Spas Berestove is listed among those promised to Patriarch Bartholomew in exchange for autocephaly. “Earlier, the Exarchs of the Patriarchate of Constantinople inspected the church,” journalists say.
Tomos about autocephaly of the new Ukrainian church returned to Kiev on January 10. He was brought from Istanbul after being signed by members of the Ecumenical Holy Synod.