The video game market has been at its best in recent months, and for the PlayStation 5, Sony has announced that it has sold 19.1 million consoles. last fiscal year With a total of 38.4 million units since its release, whether the regular PS5 Standard Edition or the digital version PS5 Digital Edition.
The supply and semiconductor problems that the PlayStation devices suffered from during the past years, with the volume of orders that were more than many times the company’s production capabilities due to limited shipments, caused the device’s price to rise exaggeratedly with the emergence of the speculators category, then it became possible to obtain a PS5 device or even the possibility of choosing One of the two versions, whether digital or standard, is very difficult, and once you find a device at its normal price, you will take it without thinking or asking about any details related to the model.
Now it is possible to stop and think a little in order to choose between the two versions that have become available to us naturally, after the availability of device shipments and Sony’s overcoming many production and supply problems, but do you want to know the subtle differences between the regular PlayStation 5 and the digital version, and which one you should buy? ? We will surely help you through this article.
Similarities and differences between the regular PlayStation 5 and the digital version:
In general, you will not feel much difference between the two versions, especially from the technical point of view, which is completely identical between the two versions, which are as follows:
- CPU: AMD Zen 2 octa-core processor, clocked at 3.5 GHz
- GPU: 10.3 teraflops, 36 CPU cores, 2.23GHz
- Graphics architecture: AMD’s custom RDNA 2
- The random memory in both devices: 16 GB, which is of the sixth generation GDDR6
- Internal Storage: 825 GB dedicated SSD
- Resolution and display: up to 8K resolution at up to 120 frames per second
But there are some important differences that we will touch on like the drive in the standard version, and there are other differences that will be as follows.
1- PS5 prices for both models
One of the main differences between the digital and standard version is the price. At launch, the standard PS5 version equipped with a disc drive was priced at $499.99 / 1900 SAR, while the digital version was priced at $399.99 / 1520 SAR at launch.
Do not forget that both versions have become more expensive after the official price increase by Sony in all parts of the world by $ 50 except for the United States of America. Sony attributed the price hike to rising global inflation.
2- PS5 disc drive in the standard version
The regular PS5 “Standard Edition” has a built-in 4K Blu-ray disc drive, which is capable of playing “physical” copies of games, Blu-ray movies, and other types of media. On the other hand, the other version of the PS5 “Digital Edition” lacks a disc drive, and both are placed vertically or horizontally according to your need.
This means that the digital version is more restricted, and can only play digital media and games downloaded from the PlayStation Store. PlayStation Store And some other content from services like Netflix and others. Therefore, the standard version of the console offers a more diverse range of options, as you can purchase both physical and digital games.
3- The difference in design and size of the regular PlayStation 5 and the digital version
You will notice the great similarity between the two PlayStation 5 models in their modern design, with a slight difference in the size of the regular version, which appears to be slightly larger to accommodate the drive, giving it an asymmetrical design towards the base, while the digital model of the PS5 features a sophisticated and more symmetrical design as you can see below.
The regular PlayStation 5 measures 390mm x 104mm x 260mm and weighs around 4.5kg, while the digital edition measures 390mm x 92mm x 260mm and weighs 3.9kg. However, the latest versions of the PS5 are lighter than the original launch model, due to changes to the cooling system and other internal components.
4- Performance and drive size for both versions
Whether you decide to buy the PS5 Digital Edition or the PS5 Standard Edition, you will enjoy the same features of the current generation games, as both models support 4K games and performance in some games up to 120 frames per second, with support for ray tracing technology and 3D sound .
Both versions are also equipped with the same AMD Ryzen Zen 2-based CPU, AMD RDNA 2 GPU and 16GB of GDDR6 memory.
When it comes to the size of the drive, both versions come with a storage size of 825 GB and SSD type, and this space may not be enough for a number of players, and fortunately, you can play PS4 games on the PS5 through an external hard drive or add an M drive 2 SSD to PS5.
Important Note: Don’t think you’ll be able to save space on the PS5 Standard Edition due to disc game support, as game data still needs to be installed on the SSD regardless of whether the game is digital or physical.
Why should you buy the regular PlayStation 5 PS5 Standard Edition?
- If you have multiple copies or a library of PS4 games on disc and want to play them again on PS5
- If you have an unreliable or weak internet connection, here you need the drive version, but that does not mean that all games do not require downloading basic data from the Internet, as is the case with the game Star Wars Jedi: Survivor that needs to download huge files.
- Physical games become significantly cheaper in the long run, whether from other players or stores such as GameStop, Geek, or others, and you can also exchange games with other players securely without the need to exchange accounts.
- In case you want to play other media such as movies and series through Ultra HD and Blu-ray discs.
Why should you buy the PS5 Digital Edition?
- You can save a good amount of money, an amount through which you can buy many titles through the PlayStation Store, sometimes with discounts of up to 80 percent.
- Reliance on digital copies has increased dramatically in recent years, and the coming years may see the end of physical discs.
- In the event that you have an average internet connection or higher, you will be able to download any game from the digital store, and even if it is weak, for example, a “1 megabyte” connection, then you can keep the device running and in a state of continuous downloading “sleep mode” for several days without problems .
- You prefer the aesthetics of the PlayStation 5 in terms of symmetrical design and less bulk compared to the standard version.
Which PS5 Model Is Right For You?
In fact, it is difficult to answer this question, because there are many external factors and influences that will affect your decision, whether the nature of the region, the economic situation of the individual, or your own tastes and inclinations, and your “setup” space.
It is possible that the PlayStation 5 will be issued with an external disc that will be purchased separately, and this disc may be compatible with the digital copy, but in the end, always try to purchase the copies that best suit your physical situation, the nature of the game, and your region.