Playful baby pandas will not sit still for a group photo when they first meet the public in China
- Two pairs of panda cubs made their public debut today in Chongqing after turning 100 days old
- The cute brothers and sisters, two male and two female, were born on the same day at Chongqing Zoo
- They also received their names on the debut, which & # 39; double happiness & # 39; means when they are put together
Two pairs of twin baby pandas met the public for the first time in China after turning 100 days old.
The cute cubs, born on the same day in the same zoo, also received their names in the debut today.
The four fluffy animals, two male and two female, are called Shuang Shuang, Chong Chong, Xi Xi and Qing Qing. Together their names mean & # 39; double happiness & # 39; in chinese.
Continues to keep the four panda cubs sitting still for a group photo during their public debut at Chongqing Zoo on Monday
The baby pandas, two sets of twins, keep moving while their caregivers try to hold them for a photo
The twin cubs were born on the same day, an unprecedented event for the zoo that has been caring for panda & # 39; s for 60 years
Keepers are holding the cubs as they walk out of their enclosure to meet panda fans at a ceremony at Chongqing Zoo today
The cubs are called Shuang Shuang, Chong Chong, Xi Xi and Qing Qing. Together their names mean & # 39; double happiness & # 39;
Both sets of twins were born on June 23 at Chongqing Zoo in southwestern China.
& # 39; This is the first time in the past 60 years that two pairs of twin pandas were born on the same day in our zoo, & # 39; Yin Yanqiang, supervisor of the zoo panda pavilion, told China News.
Imagery released by the state-run outlet shows the brothers and sisters trying to climb on each other after being placed on a bamboo board.
Keepers also struggled to keep the cubs still when they posed for a group photo.
The brothers Shuang Shuang and Chong Chong are the cubs of the 17-year-old panda mother Lan Xiang.
The older brother, Shuang Shuang, weighed 167 grams (5.9 ounces) at birth; while Chong Chong, who was born 40 minutes later, weighed 115 grams.
A keeper tries to help one of the cubs sit while the rest crawls around on a bamboo board during their public debut today
A keeper puts the four baby pandas in a row, all of whom were born on June 23 in Chongqing Zoo and became 100 days old
The names of the cubs were selected by the public after the zoo listed 10 sets of options on its social media account this month
Panda fans can meet the cubs every day from 10.30 a.m. to 11.30 p.m. and from 1.30 p.m. to 2.30 p.m. at the Chongqing Zoo panda pavilion
The eight-year-old panda mother Meng Zai gave birth on the same day to the sisters Xi Xi and Qing Qing.
Xi Xi weighed 142 grams (5 grams) and her younger sister Qing Qing was a large female cub, weighing 160 grams (5.4 grams).
The names of the cubs were selected by the public after the zoo listed 10 sets of options on its social media account earlier this month.
Panda fans can meet the cubs every day from 10:30 AM to 11:30 AM and from 1:30 PM to 2:30 PM in the panda pavilion of the zoo.
WHY ARE PANDA CUBS SO PRECIOUS?
Four month old panda cub & # 39; Yuan Meng & # 39; is pictured during the naming ceremony at the Beauval Zoo in France in December 2017
A female panda is difficult to conceive for a few reasons.
Of all female pandas, only 20 percent or so are fertile, and the other 80 percent have trouble forming healthy eggs, according to Chen Yucun, a panda expert in the Street World of China in Fuzhou.
In addition, a female panda is only heated once a year for about 48 hours, making it difficult for holders to arrange mating or artificial insemination.
Finally, it is extremely rare to find male pandas that are able to mate naturally.
According to Zhang Guiquan, an expert from the China Conservation and Research Center, only less than five percent of the entire male panda population can do without human intervention.
& # 39; So female pandas don't have much choice, & # 39; said Zhang Shanghai Daily.
. (TagsToTranslate) Dailymail (t) news (t) china