Placido Domingo apparently withdrew an apology he made in the aftermath of an investigation and found that he had sexually harassed 20 women – forcefully kissing, grabbing or stroking, in incidents dating back to at least the 1980s.
The 79-year-old said he regretted the “pain I caused” and took “full responsibility” because he acknowledged that women were afraid to speak out because of his controversial profile, which could harm their career.
But the opera singer Thursday issued a statement “to correct the wrong impression” after his original answer.
“My apologies were genuine and genuine,” he shared on Facebook. ‘To a colleague that made me feel uncomfortable, or in any way whatsoever, hurt by everything I said or did. As I have said repeatedly, I never intended to hurt or insult anyone.
Two women claimed to have had sex with him and said they felt compelled to submit to Placido Domingo because of his position of authority and potential to damage their career. Domingo said sorry Tuesday after an investigation revealed that he had sexually harassed 20 women in incidents dating back to at least the 1980s. But on Thursday he seemed to be walking back
Patricia Wulf (photo right) and Angela Turner Wilson (left) were two of the women who accused Placido Domingo of sexual harassment
But Domingo said Thursday that he has never done anyone to “hurt someone’s career.” He said his earlier “apology was sincere and sincere,” but claimed that he “never behaved aggressively toward anyone”
“But I know what I have not done and I will deny it again. I have never acted aggressively towards anyone, and I have never done anything to hamper or harm anyone’s career in any way. ”
Like the ‘Three Tenors’, Domingo, Jose Carreras and the late Luciano Pavarotti have helped bring opera to a wider audience with concerts around the world in the 1990s.
A series of singers, dancers, musicians and backstage staff have said that over the past three decades they have witnessed inappropriate behavior by Domingo in opera houses.
Domingo had initially defended his “brave gestures,” but eventually apologized after “analyzing” the claims against him.
The star seemed to drop back a day after the apology.
He continued in the statement: “On the contrary, I have spent much of my half century in the world of opera supporting industry and promoting the career of countless singers.”
A major concert was canceled in Spain on Wednesday. Domingo said it was he who withdrew from the upcoming performances of La Traviata at the Teatro Real in Madrid.
Domingo said he is withdrawing from all upcoming concerts where promoters feel uncomfortable working with him.
He added that he is grateful to all friends and colleagues who “have believed in me so far and supported me during these difficult moments,” he said, “to save them damage or additional discomfort” he would give up appearances.
He issued a statement on Thursday “to correct the wrong impression that he generated” and said he would withdraw from the engagements if companies found it difficult to work with him. Pictured August 2019 with Ana Maria Martinez (left)
“I will withdraw from the agreements in which theaters and companies find it difficult to meet those obligations,” said Domingo. “On the other hand, I will fulfill all my other obligations where circumstances permit.
Claims against the Spanish singer first came forward in August last year, when eight singers and a dancer said they were sexually harassed by him.
He stopped in November with a performance at the Metropolitan Opera in New York, amid increasing claims of misconduct.
A prosecutor, mezzo-soprano singer Patricia Wulf, said that Domingo had presented her night after night after their performances.
Baritone Robert Gardner supported her story and said he saw Domingo position itself and maneuver through rehearsal rooms and down the hall to get close to her.
Another woman, Angela Turner Wilson, said that Domingo had tried to kiss her in her dressing room after entering without knocking.
Domingo also invited her to his apartment and out to dinner and would sit with her during rehearsal breaks and tell her, “I adore you, Angela,” she said.
Both women said they had not reported the behavior of the star to management for fear that they would not be believed and that they would be punished.
He continued in the statement: “On the contrary, I have spent much of my half century in the world of opera supporting industry and promoting the career of countless singers.” Domingo, left, and Mirella Freni, right, are depicted on December 8, 2004 in Tokyo. Freni died at 84 this month
An investigation by the American Union of Operational Staff showed that the accuser’s accounts showed a clear pattern of sexual misconduct.
The probe of the American Guild of Musical Artists heard from 27 people who said they had experienced inappropriate behavior or witnessed it and 12 others who said it was well known.
The accusations include unsolicited physical touching, ranging from kissing on the mouth to groping.
They also include phone calls late at night asking Domingo women to come to his home.
Two of the women told the researchers that they had sexual relationships with Domingo and said that they felt compelled to submit because of his position of authority and potential to harm their career.
Domingo, a tenor who turned to the baritone repertoire as he grew older, had originally challenged the charges against him.
Luz del Alba Rubio (left) said she was in her twenties and sang in Rome in 1999 when Domingo heard her and asked her to come to the Washington National Opera, where he was artistic director. Domingo (right) recognizes the public after receiving the Hispanic Heritage Award 1999 at the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts in Washington on September 14, 1999
“I felt like we had overcome Golliath. Now we don’t have to be afraid to speak out, “said Rubio
The apology pushed soprano Luz del Alba Rubio forward.
“I felt like we had overcome Goliath. Now we don’t have to be afraid to speak out, “said Rubio, who stepped forward on Tuesday to add her voice to the women accusing the legendary tenor of sexual harassment and abuse of power.
Rubio said that Domingo’s apology was greatly appreciated, but he also clearly called it the work of lawyers and lacked conviction.
“He used to be a denier. Then he was a victim. Now he is looking for redemption, “said Rubio, a soprano from Uruguay. “If he means it, if he is really sorry, I would ask him to apologize to us personally. There are women who have been suffering for 20 years. He should ask for our forgiveness. “
Rubio said she was in her twenties and sang in Rome in 1999 when Domingo heard her and asked her to come to the Washington National Opera, where he was artistic director.
She was excited to play roles in three operas, but said Domingo began to call her constantly, often late at night, and was uncomfortably affectionate, constantly kissing her too close to her lips and touching her.
But he was her childhood idol and the power broker of the industry, so one evening when he invited her into his apartment to watch a video of her singing, she accepted. He started kissing her, she said, and pushed him away and said to him, “Maestro, I can’t do this. I’m not that kind of person. ”
Then she said she was never taken on again at the National Opera of Washington and that roles he had promised her never came true.