Phantom of the Opera’s 14-month tour of the UK and Ireland will be dropped amid fears that shows will start again next year
- Theater producer Sir Cameron Mackintosh said the show has been canceled
- He blamed the uncertainty about the length of social distance measures
- The first and only performance was in March at the Curve Theater, Leicester
It seems the night’s music has been silenced by the pandemic … after the British tour production of Phantom of the Opera canceled all future dates.
The first and so far only performance of the new version of Andrew Lloyd Webber’s musical took place in early March at the Curve Theater, Leicester.
Now theater producer Sir Cameron Mackintosh has revealed that the show, which is set to tour the UK and Ireland for the next 14 months, has been canceled.
Theater producer Sir Cameron Mackintosh has revealed that Phantom of the Opera, which would tour the UK and Ireland for the next 14 months, will no longer take place
He blamed the “great uncertainty surrounding the length of social distance requirements” coupled with the “dangerous financial situation many regional theaters are in.”
In a statement, Sir Cameron and his co-producers said it was a “heartbreaking” decision, but were determined that the musical would one day be back on regional stages.
At the start of the lock, all UK theaters announced that they would close their doors until the end of May, which was then extended to June 28.
Last week, The National Theater warned that it may have to cut up to 30 percent of its staff unless it receives government support, after losing more than 75 percent of its income.
The first, and so far only, performance of the new version of Andrew Lloyd Webber’s musical took place in early March at the Curve Theater, Leicester.
Sir Cameron said he did not think theaters could be showing productions until 2021 due to uncertainty over the length of social distance measures
Sir Cameron said he didn’t think theaters could be showing productions until 2021.
He said, “The truth is that until social distance no longer exists, we can’t even plan to open again.”
The Proms go virtual this year – with a live Last Night to ‘bring the nation together’.
More than 350 musicians will be heard together in a Beethoven “mash-up” the first night after recording their parts at home.
There will be live performances at the Royal Albert Hall in the last two weeks of the season, starting August 28. An audience is not excluded.