UNICEF Ambassador Paul Casey makes a U-turn to join the star-studded field for the Saudi Invitational in February … despite last year’s event ‘not a good fit for me’
- Paul Casey had expressed his objection to the Saudi Invitational in 2019
- He said it would be “hypocritical” to accept a performance fee to play
- Casey will join a star-studded field in February for the third edition
Paul Casey was one of the most outspoken opponents when the inaugural Saudi Invitational staged in 2019, in which he stated that the event ‘does not suit me well’ and that it would be ‘hypocritical’ to accept compensation for performances to to play.
Imagine the surprise to see the Englishman’s name confirmed in a star-studded field for the third edition in February, headlined by Masters champion Dustin Johnson and US Open winner Bryson DeChambeau.
Funnily enough, UNICEF Ambassador Casey kept quiet on Thursday.
Paul Casey (above) has been confirmed to be in the field to participate in the Saudi Invitational
That was not the case two years ago.
“If I sign a deal to play there, I would be hypocritical if I did,” he said at the time.
Now, in an extraordinary turnaround, he will be part of arguably the strongest field of competitors ever assembled for an event in the Middle East – including Open Champion Shane Lowry, Tommy Fleetwood, Patrick Reed, Phil Mickelson, Ian Poulter and Justin Rose.
Saudi Invitational is crowned by Masters champion Dustin Johnson and Bryson DeChambeau