BREAKING NEWS: Dylan Brown has been resigned by the NRL following an extraordinary stay in court while accused of groping a woman’s breasts in an exclusive bar
- Eels star was in court on Wednesday
- Will not play against Bulldogs on Monday
- NRL intervened after court appearance
The NRL has stopped Parramatta five-eighth Dylan Brown after he was charged with five sexual assaults after an alleged incident at Sydney’s Golden Sheaf Hotel on Saturday night.
Brown made his first appearance in court on Wednesday and is due back there later this month and could face up to five years in prison if convicted.
Under its no-fault stand-down policy, the NRL automatically suspends players charged with an offense punishable by a maximum prison sentence of 11 years or more.
But NRL CEO Andrew Abdo can step in for reduced penalties and has typically exercised this discretion when players are accused of offenses against women.
“The NRL informed the Parramatta Eels today that Dylan Brown is subject to a No-Fault Stand Down Condition under NRL rules,” the NRL said in a statement.
Brown (pictured off court on Wednesday) will no longer face the Bulldogs in Monday’s match after the NRL stepped in and ruled him out under its no-fault stand-down policy
The Eels five-eighth was barred from entering licensed premises in Double Bay – the suburb where his alleged offenses took place – when he appeared in court
New South Wales Police have charged Dylan Brown with several counts of unauthorized sexual contact following an incident in Double Bay on Saturday, June 3, 2023.
“The NRL decision should not be interpreted in any way as an opinion of the player’s innocence or guilt.”
Brown’s bail conditions state that he cannot enter licensed premises in Double Bay, the eastern suburb of Sydney where the Golden Sheaf is located.
His lawyer David Newham represented him in court.
“Mr Brown and I reviewed CCTV footage at Bondi Police Station yesterday,” Mr Newham said out of court on Wednesday.
“It does not support the idea that Mr. Brown approached this young woman five times and touched both breasts with both hands. It doesn’t support that at the moment.’
The prosecution agreed to two variations on his bail, including reducing his reporting requirements from three days a week to Mondays only.
Mr Newham told the court he hopes the case will be resolved when it comes to court later this month.
Brown is not the first NRL star to be withdrawn over alleged off-field behaviour, while Broncos star TC Robati also stepped down after being charged with an assault charge last December.
North Queensland Cowboys star Luciano Leilua was also remanded last year on domestic violence charges, which were dropped in May.