WhatsNew2Day
Latest News And Breaking Headlines

Paris’ Stade de France faces calls to be STRIPPED of events by Liverpool’s disabled fans

World Rugby and the International Olympic Committee will come under pressure from disabled Liverpool fans to deprive the Stade de France of hosting events at the 2024 Olympics and 2023 Rugby World Cup following their traumatic experiences.

The treatment of supporters during the Champions League final against Real Madrid has been described as ‘appalling’, and the grim details, gathered in recent weeks, will be explained to parliamentarians in the French Senate today.

Ted Morris and Joe Blott, the respective presidents of the Liverpool Disabled Supporters Association and the Spirit of Shankly fan group, will participate in the investigation.

Morris has documented the harrowing ordeal of several disabled fans, including a child who is given tear gas, a wheelchair user who is crowdsurfed to safety, a blind fan separated from their caregiver and a woman with a dislocated shoulder.

There was also a ‘grotesque’ attack on a disabled woman who left the ground.

“The authorities have failed miserably,” Morris said. “I’ve also emailed Lord Coe and Sir Bill Beaumont as I don’t think the stadium is fit to hold those two major events after what happened to us. It was just awful.’

Stade de France faces calls to be stripped of events after Champions League final chaos

Stade de France faces calls to be stripped of events after Champions League final chaos

Liverpool supporters were shot at by police with tear gas (above), with disabled fans being mistreated

Liverpool supporters were shot at by police with tear gas (above), with disabled fans being mistreated

Currently, the Stade de France, with a seating capacity of 80,698, will host the Rugby World Cup semi-finals and final in 2023 and Olympic athletics events in 2024.

A major source of frustration for Liverpool supporters has been the post-match claims made by several figures from the French authorities. Indeed, Interior Minister Gerald Darmanin claimed that 30,000-40,000 Reds fans showed up without a decent ticket.

However, he has since admitted mistakes were made by those responsible for the conduct of the event and said he “regrets the mistakes” that led to the chaos.

“We will bring the issue of disability to the French Senate and declare the untruths,” Morris added. “Our disabled supporters have suffered greatly in Paris.

The stadium will host the Rugby World Cup semi-finals and finals and Olympic athletic events

The stadium will host the Rugby World Cup semi-finals and finals and Olympic athletic events

French Interior Minister Gerald Darmanin admitted mistakes were made by the authorities

French Interior Minister Gerald Darmanin admitted mistakes were made by the authorities

“The French have tried to use a story and script that has haunted this football club. And they have done it without any basis or substance.

“Last season we played nine games in Europe, there was not one arrest. We went there for a sports festival. There are many people affected by this and we cannot allow this story to gain more traction.

“We will be giving testimonies of some of the horrific experiences of our disabled supporters – families and children as young as eight years old. We hope to get some answers. We have to go there and tell the truth about what happened.”

There has been widespread outrage over the treatment of supporters ahead of the May 28 match. Numerous accounts have exposed crippling congestion issues, poor organization and attacks and robberies by local gangs as fans left the stadium.

There was a first attempt to blame the disorder on Reds fans only last month

There was a first attempt to blame the disorder on Reds fans only last month

Paris Police Chief Didier Lallement admitted he made a mistake over his false ticket claim

Paris Police Chief Didier Lallement admitted he made a mistake over his false ticket claim

Paris police chief Didier Lallement has admitted his claim that up to 40,000 Liverpool supporters wanted to go into the ground with fake tickets was false.

“Maybe I made a mistake with the grade I gave the minister,” he said.

“It’s clearly a failure because people were pushed and attacked,” Lallement added. “It’s a failure, because the image of the country has been undermined.”

sports post revealed earlier this month that French authorities were blocking attempts to paint an accurate picture of what was behind the disorder as part of a “politically motivated cover-up” that is “reaching high levels of government.”

An investigation by the Daily mail learned that UEFA officials wanted to issue a statement before the game ended highlighting the role of local criminals.

French authorities blocked attempts to paint an accurate picture of the causes of the chaos

French authorities blocked attempts to paint an accurate picture of the causes of the chaos

Some politicians Sportsmail spoke to believe Liverpool fans were the scapegoat

Some politicians who sports post had spoken to believe that Liverpool fans were the scapegoat

However, European football’s governing body was ordered to remove such references, placing the blame solely on Liverpool’s supporters instead.

These revelations came just 24 hours after a report commissioned by the French Prime Minister showed that Liverpool fans were not to blame.

Instead, crowd management failure and lack of information were the main contributing factors.

The Telegraph has contacted the operators of the Stade de France for comment.

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More